Australian Car Production.

petermelb

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone have information on Peugeots and Citroens assembled in Melbourne between about late 1950's and mid sixties by Continental and General Distributors.
Information on this part of Australias history is very sketchy, so anything relating to Continental and General, or Peugeot ot Citroen assembly in Australia would be appreciated.

I think they built R16's & maybe 12's there as well didn't they??

I remember my grandfather saying he bought a new R16ts, only being made here (I think) it came with Dunlop (that he re-name "thump 'a' lot") tires. After argueing for weeks with the dealer & threatening to refuse to accept the car he & the dealer ended up paying halves to upgrade the car to Michelins. The dunlops 'thumped' when driving in a straight line. He had taken the car to a couple of tire places and they'd covered the entire inside of the rim with weights & the opposing outer side of the rims with more balance weights & told him that's as good as they could get :( With new michelins on it, I don't think it even required balance weights :) Wonder if Dunlop still make crap??

How'd you go with Bob Dirks?? Did he have anything to say about the Aussie built ID19's??

seeya,
Shane L.

Continental and General or Canada Cycle and Manufacturing could have been considered the "weird" car manufacturers at the time. With them assembling the NSU Prinz and Studebaker range in addition to Peugeot, Renault and Citroen.

12's and 16's came after C & G when the Heidelberg West factory was purchased from them (with the Peugeot concessionare) by Renault Australia in 1966.

The Dunlops would have been fitted to the 16 because it improved the local content of the car at the time, and Dunlop was the only Australian manufacturer of radial tyres at the time. The first Aussie designed steel radial being the Uniroyal 180 Steel Cat in about 1975.

Simon

Thanks shane, Bob was abig help, gave me some chassis numbers of cars he has and some others as weel, exactly what i was looking for, hope some other people will oblige as well.

I don't know if Dunlop still make crap, I haven't bought any for years as the ones I did buy were crap, (Dunlop SP's, remeber them ?)

Thanks Simon, I didn't know they assembled NSU and Studebaker as well, do you know any year of production, model types, and why Continental and General got sold ? It seems Citroens were assembled between 1961 and 1966.

I found a reference in a list of defunct companies that suggests Continental and General were formed in 1958.

I have a couple of C and G cars, 1966 404 and 1962 403, both feel as if they will last forever with less rust problems than the Renault built cars (1967 on).
The earliest Cand G cars were built in Moorabbin in 1959 with assembly in Heidleberg shortly after. The C and G factory was used by Renault and now is occupied by Nilsen Switch Gear, although I haven't looked lately.
I am surprised that C and G assembled NSUs, I guess it would be the Prinz sold around 1960 that they made.

Graham Wallis

Peter,

that's good news. Is there any obvious pattern in the numbers yet?? There's 3 Aussie built 'D's in Ballarat I know of. Given time I should be able to chase there chassis numbers for you (it WILL take me some time though :( ).

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Peter...and others!!
I know a guy in melb who has four aussie built ID's...he wouldn't want his details published so if you care to email me at murraya@countryroad.com.au I will give your details to him.....regards
Andrew :rolleyes:

thanks shane, there is a pattern emerging with the aussie seral numbers, i would like some more chassis numbers to get a clearer picture of the "system" used.

1961 1992XXXX pre production
1961 1911XXXX
1962 1931XXXX
1962 1972XXXX
1963 19300XXXX
1964 unknown
1965 19301XXXX
1965 19400XXXX
1966 19301XXXX

This is just a rough estimate based on current information.

On the chassis plates of the cars there is also a series number, and is different on each car I have seen so far, I am wondering if this is used as a local identification number.
The XXXX part of the chassis numbers i have does not seem to tie in with a sequential allocation of numbers of an estimated production run of 1400 cars.

[ 10 March 2002: Message edited by: petermelb ]

[ 10 March 2002: Message edited by: petermelb ]</p>

Thanks for your reply Graham, I would be very appreciative if you could let me know the chassis number and series number of youir aussie built 403 and 404. As you can see above, I am strating to get a picture of the numbering system used, and hope that some peugeot numbers can help to fill out the picture a bit.

Peter,

I've just got the body number from my car:

192005209 which makes no sense, I guess I've mis-read it (Doh!, no it's going to be registered with the wrong chassis #).

Anway the number will probably be when I double check

192705209 -- Which makes it a 1962 model. I've been told it's a '63, but it's possible it's a '62build, 1st registered '63. It's a 2nd nose with 'button' brakes, so it'd have to be very late, as in after October 62 in order to have those features :confused: :confused:

regards
Shane L.

Thanks Shane. Taking another look at the numbers. its seems that there is the old model year/ calender year thing happening. yours could be a 1963 (early).

PS best wishes for your wedding on sat.