Au Revoir 1.4 Auto C3

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have just been on the citroen australia website and found the C3 1.4 automatic has been discontinued and is now only available in 1.6.
This has been confirmed by Citroen Australia.
What are peoples thoughts?

As Edward Rowe told us - the CO2 tax penalty on a company owned full Auto in Europe is in the order of 100+ UK Pounds per month!! So it makes little sense to offer the 1.4, when the only markets are places like here and SE Asia, who don't really care about really small engines - and I suspect that the fuel consumption won't actually be all that different overall.

Paul

No sensodrive

I noticed the same thing today at the Melbourne Motor Show - no SensoDrive on the C3 except for the Pluriel.

The diesel C4 looks good...but the C6 is ASTOUNDING!:approve: It looks wonderful in the metal, and the Citroen rep told me that they had already taken nearly a dozen orders for them...without fixing a price!

Cheers

C6 Pre Orders

Well, that's at least a dozen for us to line up for when they hit the second and third hand market!

Ken W :cheers:

The C3 in a diesel is a great machine. Uses no fuel at all. Pity they are not here. :cry:

danielsydney said:
The C3 in a diesel is a great machine. Uses no fuel at all. Pity they are not here. :cry:

fair dinkum no fuel at all that is fantastic - bet you are wrong though.

danielsydney said:
Anyone know how many VW Polo diesels have been sold thus far? Not many I'd think. Problem for us is diesel = manual = 10% of Oz C3 sales = no return on investment. Oh and the litre of fuel that you'd save per 100km over the petrol might be a factor too. Not enough to justify the purchase at $1.20 a litre. Maybe if fuel was $2.50 a litre:crazy:

moosey said:
Oh and the litre of fuel that you'd save per 100km over the petrol might be a factor too.

Is that for real? WTF? My parents have a BX turbo diesel that will do 50+ mpg, and feels as fast at a petrol GT...

Chris

Im just sad to see the back of the little 1.4. Thats the engine I have. Is it the same engine as the saxo and berlingo?

moosey said:
OK 1.7 litres combined for the 1.4's and 2.0 litres for the 1.6's - Have a look for yourself - http://www.citroen.co.uk/level4/technicalSpecification.asp?pagetype=C3&style=&infoID=13

Consider the price premium for purchasing the diesel car and it wouldn't make any sense. A C5 on the other hand...

That's roughly a 25% saving and not be be sneezed at if you do a lot of miles... are the diesels that much more expensive? I'm biased here, I'd still pay more for a diesel because I like them :chase:

Not that I'm in any position to be buying a new car.

Chris

chris said:
That's roughly a 25% saving and not be be sneezed at if you do a lot of miles... are the diesels that much more expensive? I'm biased here, I'd still pay more for a diesel because I like them :chase:

Not that I'm in any position to be buying a new car.

Chris

As an example

C4 SX 1.6L Petrol - $25990
C4 SX 1.6L HDi - $29990

You would have to a fair few kilometres to make up the initial price difference.

Troy.

danielsydney said:
Im just sad to see the back of the little 1.4. Thats the engine I have. Is it the same engine as the saxo and berlingo?
Same engine as the Berlingo (and probably the Saxo/106/206 as well) - and you can still get the 1.4 in the C3 - as the SX manual, $19,990 + orc

danielsydney said:

Sad?
Whilst it's reliable, it's no ball of fire, and doesn't really compete with the competition (keep in mind we owned a C3 1.4 manual and a Clio 1.4 manual at the same time).

It is torquey for what it is, and will plod along easily, but I can see why it's a no-go with the auto.

The 1.6L 16v engine, with 4 speed auto is a good mix in the 307 (no complaints with Justin's) and it's be a better mix in the C3 given it's lighter.

Derek.