Art imitating life?

Simon

1000+ Posts
On TV the other night was an ad featuring a number of girls in a chop top Valiant hardtop. Cruising past quickly go a couple of guys in a Megane cabrio laughing at the girls in the old Val. Suddenly it starts pouring with rain, the top gets pulled up on the Val. The top leaks so one of the girls pulls out some patching product from a box marked Stayfree or somesuch and applies it to the hole in the roof, magically it fixes the leak. They continue on their merry way passing the guys in the Megane with a stuck down roof, obviously someone else apart from the Wheels magazine testers experienced the best in Renault electrics at some time!!

Still not sure what the ad was for, I wouldn’t have thought there was a big market for white fluffy patches for leaking convertible tops in spring time.........

That "wheels" magazine writer didn't read the manual on how to open and close the Megane Roof and later apologised to Renault.

There are several saftety interlocks that must all be adhered to for the roof to operate.

Ie. the car must be stationary, the handbrake on, the car in neutral, and the drivers foot on the brake (or something like that)

It was quite embarrasing when the Renault Dealer in Geelong tried to demonstrate the roof to some potential customers, only to find he couldn't get it to work. The customers thought the car was a piece of shit and quickly exited stage right.....I read the page in the owners manual in the glovebox that explained how to operate the roof and....voila open sesame....

One very bemused Renault Salesman....

mistareno:
That "wheels" magazine writer didn't read the manual on how to open and close the Megane Roof and later apologised to Renault.
Shows how often I read Wheels :)

The car doesn't need to be stationary, but yeah, you got the bit about the handbrake right wink

Pug307:
The car doesn't need to be stationary, but yeah, you got the bit about the handbrake right wink
I must be missing something here. The handbrake must be on, fine. But the car may be moving??

Must be missing something....

JohnW

Still not sure what the ad was for, I wouldn’t have thought there was a big market for white fluffy patches for leaking convertible tops in spring time.........
I believe the ad was for a feminine sanitary pad. I suspect there are regulations that would restrict advertising companies showing on television what they are actually for, so they have to promote the ‘101 uses around the home and car’ aspect.
e.g. fixing leaks in a car roof (as in the ad), plugging holes in fish ponds, moping up oil spills from a driveway, dehumidifying cupboards, etc.

Ren
cheers!

mistareno:

There are several saftety interlocks that must all be adhered to for the roof to operate.

Ie. the car must be stationary, the handbrake on, the car in neutral, and the drivers foot on the brake (or something like that)

It was quite embarrasing when the Renault Dealer in Geelong tried to demonstrate the roof to some potential customers, only to find he couldn't get it to work. The customers thought the car was a piece of shit and quickly exited stage right.....I read the page in the owners manual in the glovebox that explained how to operate the roof and....voila open sesame....

One very bemused Renault Salesman....
Looks like Renault salesmen & Wheels journalists both went to the same school.

Without referring to the owners manual, I had zero problems using the roof on a hired Megane convertible earlier this year. I assumed that the car would have to be stationary before using it, can't remember the handbrake setting etc. It all seemed pretty obvious at the time...

I liked that advert actually.
I also like the advert on the saxo bic....

JohnW:
Pug307:
I must be missing something here. The handbrake must be on, fine. But the car may be moving??

Must be missing something....

JohnW
You can barely apply the handbrake and keep on driving. Basically as long as the switch is activated, the roof will still go :D

There also might be something else you need to do to fold the roof down, on my VW if you want to put the roof down you need to turn on the ignition, press the roof bottom and turn off the ignition for the roof to start folding down.

RXE 2.0:
There also might be something else you need to do to fold the roof down, on my VW if you want to put the roof down you need to turn on the ignition, press the roof bottom and turn off the ignition for the roof to start folding down.
This is most definitely not required on the Megane.

Pug307:
You can barely apply the handbrake and keep on driving. Basically as long as the switch is activated, the roof will still go :D
Yup - but drive too fast (say more than 10km/h) while trying to put the roof up and it pretty much stops because there's too much wind. Justin and I got pretty used to putting the handbrake on one click as we drove into a car park and putting the roof up as we went.

There's no need to be on the footbrake. You do need to hold your finger on the button for the entire time the roof is moving.

Derek
btw - reading the Megane Cab manual, the electric roof is an option in Europe eek!

You can see it for yourself <a href="http://www.206gti.net/sydneymotorshow03/307cc-roof.mpg" target="_blank">here</a>.

Thanks to SLC206 for taking the video.