Anyone with CAD skills?

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
As you may know, I've been working with JohnW on a final run of mirror surrounds for R8/10. There are two types of mirrors and the surrounds fit the newer style perfectly, but are a little out if trying to use them on the older style of mirror. The workaround is to get a new piece of mirror glass cut, fit the surround, then glue the mirror to the existing one.

However, in order to get the glass cut to the correct size we would like to provide purchases the dimensions on a CAD file or possible a PDF output of same.

Here is a scan of the glass with some dimensions that we want, and I wonder if anyone could take this and turn it into a simple 2D CAD file and PDF output?

Attachments

• Renault Mirror Dimensions SML.jpg
    Renault Mirror Dimensions SML.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 52
KB, I can't help with the CAD file but if you have a ring around you should be able to find a glass merchant who can 3D scan the glass and have it water cut to a precise dimension. Or you could just mail it to your old pal 56 Fregate and he could cut and linish as many as you want.

Well I've already been modelling Renaults so happy to help and add to my 3D collection of Renault parts

Vivid,

Many Thanks

3D is great, but it probably only needs to be 2D with the glass thickness indictated as a comment on the document.

as payment, if you PM me your email address I will email you the 3D print file I had scanned and made for the surrounds. Of course the internal dimensions should match the external of the glass so may be of use to you.

@59Fregate - thanks, but I’m trying not to spend any more coin on this rather expensive venture. I’d rather let the purchasers chase their own new glass if they wish to. Have no desire to do it for them. I don’t know how many needs it, so your offer to make some is appreciated but not needed methinks.

2D is fine, we can probably work out the curve they actually used

so you want a stencil / CAD that can be sent to be cut?

shouldn't be a problem in fusion 3d.

2D is fine, we can probably work out the curve they actually used

so you want a stencil / CAD that can be sent to be cut?

shouldn't be a problem in fusion 3d.
sorry re-read your instructions I glanced over in the supermarket.

"However, in order to get the glass cut to the correct size we would like to provide purchases the dimensions on a CAD file or possible a PDF output of same."

sure we can do that

None of the radii are given, alternatively chord dimensions. The draftsman will need these.

There are a few free 2D CAD packages. LibreCAD for example.

Let me have a crack tomorrow.
I model in 3d, but then make a 2d drawing from it for laser cutting etc.
Been doing CAD as a job for 20 years for an OEM, last one that's actually doing any engineering in Australia.

None of the radii are given, alternatively chord dimensions. The draftsman will need these.

There are a few free 2D CAD packages. LibreCAD for example.
Happy to add any needed dimensions. Just need to know where it needs to be measured from/to.

Mr Seasink is right. This is more complex than you may think and I imagine your tolerances are quite skinny. I think you need to have it professionally scanned.

In rough terms these are your radaii and there are only 2 straight sections.

kb.jpg

Last edited:
I've had success simply photo copying the part, then tracing over it in CAD when I couldn't get a full scan done, even tracing around and scanning from the photocopier. As long as you have measured a couple of key dimensions you can scale the CAD to the correct size. Like these 3d printed spacers for the Virages mirrors

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_055326_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_055326_Gallery.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240212_055315_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_055315_Gallery.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 21
I've had success simply photo copying the part, then tracing over it in CAD when I couldn't get a full scan done, even tracing around and scanning from the photocopier. As long as you have measured a couple of key dimensions you can scale the CAD to the correct size. Like these 3d printed spacers for the Virages mirrors
tracing we can easily work out the radius.
this is a very trivial task.

21751 I offered to CAD it up, but there is no point in both of us doing it.

made a start, doesn't seem to be completly symetrical? Can you print this PDF and see if it aligns?

Attachments

• Glass 01.JPG
    Glass 01.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Glass 02.JPG
    Glass 02.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Drawing1.pdf
    5.3 KB · Views: 37
Yes I’ve printed it out to check against the mirror tonight.

I did print both pdf’s out and did a quick check at work against the light but I’ll have a closer look tonight. It seems pretty close 😀

Many thanks
Kevin

It looks pretty good. It may be that the top RH corner is a little out as per your line on your drawing (Bearing in mind it is upside down in this pic)

I held it up to the light and it seemed to match pretty well from what I can see.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-02-12-175936.jpeg
    IMG_2024-02-12-175936.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: