Anyone want a poogo?

56 Fregate

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
1654238256893.png

This is a rare (built in Sydney) Deluxe version of the 403, great interior with different colour on the side pieces of the headlining.

Very sound car, would be worth $14000 if it didn't need $20000 or more spent on it to bring up to a usable state.

This should work

I beg to differ. This is a York Motors distributed car which was assembled by C&G in Melbourne. The trim is Nylex vinyl as used on Namco kitchen furniture, however the dash padding has been replaced - it should be grey. How do I know? My first car was a June 1960 403 sold new by my late father and traded back in early 1968. Same red interior but the body was white. The only difference between 1959 and 1960 was deletion of the parking lights on the rear pillar (replaced by grey plastic plugs.

The rust on the front edge of the bonnet is a worry - I shudder to think what the inner sills might be like. C&G weren't great on rustproofing. And the wide wheels may indicate that the car has been messed about elsewhere.
This is a rare (built in Sydney) Deluxe version of the 403, great interior with different colour on the side pieces of the headlining.

I thought the York Motors cars were made in Sydney, maybe only the 203s. Two tone door trims and two tone headlining should be there.

There is an oddity in the 1959's where after the C&G takeover they were still built for a time at the Canada Cycle plant and had the trim of the later model but had lever arm shock absorbers. There was one like that at Basil Moran's, identical to a 1960 in trim and paint but with a C&G Keys Road plate. The sale car certainly has a lot of originality in the body but note the really very good 403b that Basil picked up in SA and had expensively repainted struggled to make its sale money which was under $10,000. I put an ad for it on this site, probably still somewhere. The 403 for whatever reason has not commanded high prices.

There is an oddity in the 1959's where after the C&G takeover they were still built for a time at the Canada Cycle plant and had the trim of the later model but had lever arm shock absorbers. There was one like that at Basil Moran's, identical to a 1960 in trim and paint but with a C&G Keys Road plate. The sale car certainly has a lot of originality in the body but note the really very good 403b that Basil picked up in SA and had expensively repainted struggled to make its sale money which was under $10,000. I put an ad for it on this site, probably still somewhere. The 403 for whatever reason has not commanded high prices.
Yes, 59 and 60 were the same really except for the shockers and fine spline axles.

Looking at all the dowdy 404s offered for sale at around $10000 I reckon mine must be worth $20000, wouldn't get that though.