Any thermodynamic experts out there?

In days of yore I had occasion to chauffeur the Mother-in-law around. That kept the cabin temperature very icy I can assure you. 🥶 👵

I know the proposed fridge is only small but wouldn't it be attempting to disperse the cabin heat absorbed into the circulating cold water into the separated cargo area via it's condenser?
I guess it would, but it doesn't reject heat outside the vehicle. To get maximum value from the small fridge heat pump, it would be preferable to modify/dismantle the fridge and duct cooling air from outside over it's condenser. From a comfort point of view, reducing humidity is usually very effective as perspiration evaporates from the skin more easily.

Last edited:
Thanks David you must be mech eng, closed system must have somewhere to dump heat. me = ignorant elec eng.

i have been considering for some time why it wouldn't be possible to modify a kero or 12 volt element fridge. to run off the exhaust manifold heat ,to introduce cold [more dense are to the inlet manifold] ,could you run said fridge unit off the exhaust heat to cool the cab ,i dont know how hot the kero flame gets ,but cant be much hotter than the exhaust ,and you would be using waste heat ,to do the job .thinking !

Worth thinking about your starting a heat equation there. Yes energy in and energy out.

So long as you're innovating, go thermoelectric. No pump, no refrigerant, just power to a Peltier device.
See here

... another way would be a portable domestic split system + inverter. It will draw rather more than 200W though.

So long as you're innovating, go thermoelectric. No pump, no refrigerant, just power to a Peltier device.
See here
I did a bit of research on fabricating a Peltier AC system for a motor car. On one VW forum I was on, one poster estimated 5000W worth of Peltier units would be required to match a conventional compressed gas system. I'd need a 450 Amp alternator just to keep up with the Peltiers.🤔
Apparently the current tech Peltiers have a very high draw relative to their output.

Horrible idea using them and the same issue they have a hot side, where does this heat go to? They are amazing all the same.

Thermodynamics was a 3rd year subject, difficult which i passed nicely thankfully

Last edited:
There are no free lunches in heat transfer. Land Rover solved this problem a lifetime ago. There are flaps under the windscreen which expose the front seat to anything from a gentle breeze to a blast at least equal to the car speed. It was extremely effective, even in midsummer. The body heat removed was carried away out a window or other opening.

You disappoint me.
I don’t know anything about air conditioning but I have watched a lot of Japanese movies and Greenpeace, you are not fully embracing the true spirit of a Suzuki Carry van driver.
You need a wet hand towel draped around your neck and occasionally mop your brow, squint at the sky and mutter “Atsui desu ne!”
If you need to go techno with your cooling, then assemble an array of kawaii personal fans across the dashboard - here’s a cute and adorable selection for inspiration.

03EC79F3-0503-4447-BCB2-D7660ADF066F.jpeg

There are no free lunches in heat transfer. Land Rover solved this problem a lifetime ago. There are flaps under the windscreen which expose the front seat to anything from a gentle breeze to a blast at least equal to the car speed. It was extremely effective, even in midsummer. The body heat removed was carried away out a window or other opening.
I remember the first summer in dad’s 505. It needed the ac regassed and we spent hot days reminiscing about how superior the air vents were on the old 504 with no ac.

You disappoint me.
I don’t know anything about air conditioning but I have watched a lot of Japanese movies and Greenpeace, you are not fully embracing the true spirit of a Suzuki Carry van driver.
You need a wet hand towel draped around your neck and occasionally mop your brow, squint at the sky and mutter “Atsui desu ne!”
If you need to go techno with your cooling, then assemble an array of kawaii personal fans across the dashboard - here’s a cute and adorable selection for inspiration.

View attachment 212671
No point in approaching the fan idea half arsed shibuichi.
I just hope the windows don't blow out.🤞

images (91).jpeg
20221113_221330.jpg
20221113_221206.jpg

How about an evaporative cooling system. 20 litre drum of water (which ought to last quite a while), small 12v pump, garden watering system tubing, a microspray or two squirting water in front of the vent outlets, and an open window to exhaust the hot air. You're still making use of the latent heat of vaporisation but you are wetting the air rather than drying it.

Roger
The 20l drum would slow down the Carry.
A NOS kit would work better as the expanding gas creates cooling. They actually make NOS kit heating pads.
This could be replaced by your bottom to keep you cool.
The performance could then drive a good car A/C system.

The 20l drum would slow down the Carry.
A NOS kit would work better as the expanding gas creates cooling. They actually make NOS kit heating pads.
This could be replaced by your bottom to keep you cool.
The performance could then drive a good car A/C system.

I haven't had a nitrous car for about 20 years but back then it was $10 per pound for refilling.
With a 150HP kit a 10 pound bottle was good for around four or five 12 second passes, (1 minute of driving).
The heating blanket is used to ensure consistent cylinder pressure.
If the bottle pressure drops in cooler weather, or as the bottle gets emptier, it messes up the balance between the fuel and nitrous jetting (on a wet system).
The lower the bottle pressure, the richer the system will run, and power output will fall away..

I haven't had a nitrous car for about 20 years but back then it was $10 per pound for refilling.
With a 150HP kit a 10 pound bottle was good for around four or five 12 second passes, (1 minute of driving).
The heating blanket is used to ensure consistent cylinder pressure.
If the bottle pressure drops in cooler weather, or as the bottle gets emptier, it messes up the balance between the fuel and nitrous jetting (on a wet system).
The lower the bottle pressure, the richer the system will run, and power output will fall away..
Bottle gives you 5 x 12 sec cooling shots, just what you wanted
Nothing better than having 5 cold beers as you are driving along :cheers:

One serious comment: From a German Mercedes Benz tractor air-conditioning engineer some years ago - the air cond vents are situated around the head area because your body senses temperature through your temples. If your head is cool, your body feels cool to an extent. Works in a car, doesn't it? I always direct the cool air onto my face, not my feet.

Now the flippant comments: Without being a thermodynamics engineer, I would think that there is some very fanciful thinking going on if you thought a 12v car fridge might cool the interior, but give it a go!

Re evaporative systems. Perth is pretty good for house evaporative - I have had one for over 30 years, large capacity, roof mounted. You know the secret to humid weather? You turn the water supply off. You still need the humid air to pass through the evaporative pads, but the water in the humid air still evaporates and causes cooling.

Here's another fanciful idea. The aircraft I was involved with as a maintenance planner (Fokker 100 passenger jets) had interesting cooling /air cond system. In effect there were 2 units like turbochargers, only they reduced pressure rather than boosting it. Where a turbocharger increases the air temp (hence needing an intercooler to get maximum efficiency), the cooling turbines reduce the air pressure, hence cooling the air. You might need to research that for more detail, I've forgotten the detail, I just know that is the air cond system in, I believe, many larger aircraft.

Cheers.

Regardless of whether evaporative systems work in high humidity or not, pumping moist air into a car is not a good idea.
As you all know, not a whole lot of good occurs when cars and moisture mix (apart from the cooling system).
Refrigerative AC systems remove moisture from the air, 'swampies' add moisture to the air.
It might give you a bit of relief from the heat for a while, but you'll have to deal with the corrosion, mold, etc.

Now the flippant comments: Without being a thermodynamics engineer, I would think that there is some very fanciful thinking going on if you thought a 12v car fridge might cool the interior, but give it a go!
There was never a suggestion by me that the fridge was going to cool the interior.
The cooling effect was to be supplied by ice bricks.
The use of a fridge rather than an Esky was with the view to maintaining or reducing temperature of the fridge's contents while the vehicle was parked (so there was still some cooling effect for the trip home). Hence the "stand alone" battery and solar panel idea.
After all it wouldn't be much fun wandering out after work in 40C to find the car won't start.🤷‍♂️