any series landy boffins out there ?

pugwash

VIP Paid Subscriber
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
my son is looking at a series 3 FFR 6 cylinder x military ,im looking at it this weekend ,im interested to see if its 12 or 24 volt iv had a quick look at it for rust looks quite good ,in the usual places was done up to use on the farm but seldom used ,will need some re commissioning re the lights and gauges ,PUGS

The FFR supplement is attached. The electrical specs and alternators are near the back. The radio stuff uses 24V

Attachments

• FFR1.pdf
    791.4 KB · Views: 84
  • FFR2.pdf
    966.1 KB · Views: 82
  • FFR3.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 69
  • FFR4.pdf
    651.1 KB · Views: 91
legend guys ,i have been speaking to the guy at series landy rescuein bris ,he got back to me TODAY with a copy of the army register, putting it as an 11/79 build ,i was concerned that the valve seats may not have been hardened for use with unleaded ,but appears as if they are on the 6 ,especially as the exhausts are in the block ,good to know its just the radios that use 24 volt ,i can see extra heavy wires heading from the main battery under passenger seat to the rear ,were there must have been an extra one, thanks heaps for your feedback

we took some fuel and a battery today and got it running ,drove it up and down the driveway ,has a coolant leak around the radiator the hosed have surface splits so at worst a re core ,tappets a bit latterly ,no power steer ,drives like a truck, no fuses installed so no dash lights gauges ,the guys away nxt weekend so we will pick it up in a couple weeks ,thanks seasink i plan to print out your attachments .PUGS

When I owned Landies they were registered as "motor lorries". They do drive like a small truck, but you rapidly get used to it - I preferred driving it, the car felt off somehow.

Did the later army ones have power steering? I can't remember. I owned a diesel fitted to an army spec chassis and suspension, so very rare, and it had no power steering, or power anything else - just two 6v tractor batteries that were overkill. One of its attractions was sheer simplicity. The petrol sixes are very thirsty and are an old design..

just get an old shitbox range rover. so simple ... so much love for the petrol. what coudl possibly be better :)

we bought it last Sunday and iv been doing a little to it ,so i can drive it onto a trailer ,fitted a big battery as it has a winch ,also discovered that the earth wire on the battery only went to the alloy body ,nothing to the engine ,only other problem is the snake that has taken up residence behind the instrument panel ,i can see it through a small gap in the dashboard ,its a light colour with black markings between scales on the back .its nothing like the carpets we get at home ,maybe an albino tree snake .previous owner is going to check it out ,any tips on snake repellent ,i have considered jamming rags in all the escape routs while i load and unload it ,plan to move it Saturday

The diesels were the ones for batteries - two massive 6V tractor types, in series. The only electric loads of note were the starter and headlights.

Tree snakes come with every one on the coast. They often have bluish colouring on the ends of the scales. They are more worried about you than you are of them.

When you get to work on the engine you'll see it's quite unusual. The 2.6 has both overhead and side valves. It came from Rover sedans, and wasn't as reliable as the rather horsepower-free old 4 cylinder. Even so, those fours could tow huge loads slowly.

Last edited:
now that i have freed up the choke cable it settles down to a nice idle but a little tappety which it seems isn't unusual ,some of the lights work but none of the warning lights or gauges ,not to keen on venturing in there with our friend around ,im shifting it to my other sons place till we can get a backload to the tweed ,i was considering a permit but i dont need the stress ,