Any factory V6 505's in OZ ?

Jason Morris

Fellow Frogger
Hi again. I spoke to a local modified vehicle certifier today about putting the V6 into my 505 wagon. "No problem" he said, he even knew that 505's came in V6 form, and had great brakes! So, with the legal worry out the way, back to the bell housing....

Did you get the 505 V6 in Australia ? I am firing a few emails off round the globe to try and find a 4-speed auto V6 housing, how much chance is there of finding one in Australia?

Else, I'm stuck with the adaptor plate idea.... eek!

One US Peugeot guru reckoned that they had a few factory V6 wagons over there - has anyone else heard of that ?

Jason

Jason,

The starter motor is on opposite side for RHD 505s as opposed to LHD ones, because apprently the steering column would interfere with it otherwise (Pugrambo would know more about this).

If you get a transmission from overseas, it's best to get it from a RHD country like Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, the UK, etc. I've heard of one or two people importing 505V6 stuff from Japan and Hong Kong in the past, but I guess they wouldn't be too easy to find there. Thailand has alot of Pugs, but mostly the smaller engined models, so I don't know if they even sold the V6 there.

Dave

JoFuS : No, I don't have the engine yet, but I have enquired about two Volvo K-Jet ones. Both dirt cheap. I need to check if they are on an auto or manual gearbox, as the flex-plate arrangement may be different between Volvo/Pugs.

Dave - That's worth knowing! Thanks again ! I've been making enquires in the US, so another dead-end then ?!

I'll also look up how many 505 V6's arrived here, and ring the other car clubs. You never know what might turn up!

Jason

DTwo:
Stupid question perhaps......but how much of the 604 stuff is compatible with the 505?
Almost everything. It's just that the 604 has a 3 speed auto, and I think Jason wants a 4 speed auto. There aren't many manual 604s around, atleast not in Australia. I'm not sure about NZ

Jason could possibly adapt a 604 auto bellhousing onto the ZF 4 speed. Most 604s have a GM auto transmission (Strasbourg/trimatic).

Dave

A good mate of mine Gerry Mullock has imported a genuine Series 2 505 V6 from England....

If he can be of any use I will put him in contact with you !

Ben

as far as i know the late model 505 V6 sedans came out with 4spd autos in the US (and possibly other countries as well) so there should be some bell housings around
as for the adaptor plate that should work well anyway
i would like to have a good look at a 4spd auto from a wagon to see if it can be converted to fir into my g/f's 604 just to get an extra gear and keep it auto (she likes it that way)
The starter motor is on opposite side for RHD 505s as opposed to LHD ones, because apprently the steering column would interfere with it otherwise (Pugrambo would know more about this).
this is true dave as the starter motor sits on the same side as the steering column
in saying this though i had a LHD bell housing in my V6 504 and the starter motor was never a problem to get out of the car
the main problem is power steering getting in the way

this may be a long shot but try giving peugparts in mornington VIC a call and ask for baz
you never know what bell housings he has lying around there as he gets containers in with all sorts of gear that will sit there and never be used in this country

Gerry's is a 5 speed.....it's an EFI as well should be a damn nice car when he ever get's it on the road :)

I am looking foward to having a drive :)

Ben

When I bought my wagon it came complete with the 4-sp auto in a cardboard box ! (and rear axle swinging in the breeze...) I considered trying to put the gearbox back together (hundreds of pieces, and were they even all there ?!) In the end I had a hunt around and found a replacement that had done only 70k from a 505 sedan, NZ$700. I also did a search on the net to see what these 4HP22 boxes are like - there's a whole lot of bad press in the US as the first couple of years production seemed to have a problem with a seal failing somewhere crucial. ('86-'87 ?)

They were used on loads of cars - BMW 5 series, Jags, and so I figure they should be a reasonably strong box. Mine drives nicely (as long as the engine is producing reasonalbe torque i.e. no pinging), and it is really high geared in top - great for cruising, would probably be great in a 604. (no rev counter reading sorry - it's a GR!)
The lock-up comes in at 80kmh in top, so it's a manual above that, contributing to good economy. (We get just on 30mpg cruising at 120k, loaded up )

Jason