Another gremlin at work

The Fixer

Fellow Frogger
It was time to rotate the tyres and do and oil/filter change, have done so I left it over night. The next day I had to pickup my friend, car starts as normal but the turbo does not kick in as I was running late to meet my friend I decided to persevere with no turbo God it was embarrassing, felt like I could walk faster. Anyhow when I got home, after deciding not to burn the car, I sat down and thought it through. I stuck my hand down the back of the engine, (had not been anywhere near there during the oil change) and lo an behold I felt the turbo vacuum (metal tubing with rubber connector on the end) had come off the turbo stuck it back on, now working like a charm. As with my last thread, I am damned if I know how that happened. I'm not religious but I looked to heaven and said "THANK YOU"

What car?

Reminds me of the respect I developed for Japanese manufacturers, especially Honda. We've owned an ED Civic ('87) hatch, very early car, still had the twin carb setup and all the anti pollution gubbins, it was a mess there. So many tiny hoses and pipes and so on, I thought, god almighty if any of this crap goes wrong, ****ed if I'm fixing it. Well, none of it ever went wrong in ten years of ownership so I have no idea what all that was about, but respect for Honda who managed to make everything so well, no hose ever split, came off or cracked, otherwise it would have been game over. Sold it running very well still with well over 300k km on the clock in 2010.

One of the troubles that can occur with rubber vacuum hoses that just push on is stretch from internal exposure to oil. Factory tight turns into only just on, and vibration finishes the job.+