AM6 Wrong Transmission Fluid

Degrees

Fellow Frogger
I completed a transmission flush on my 307 with DW10BTED4 engine (2.0L Turbo Diesel 136HP with FAP) and AM6 transmission around 18 months ago. The transmission had no problems at the time, it was purely a preventative maintenance exercise. After extensive research on forums for Citroen, Peugeot, Saab, Volvo etc. I figured that Toyota T-IV was a good choice.

In the last couple of months, I have noticed the box has started making really heavy/rough changes, usually when downshifting. I decided to consult Peugeot Service Box and found this statement in the flush procedure:

byR49s4.png

As it turns out, my engine is a Euro 5 and thus I've been running the wrong fluid. I don't know if the units are mechanically different, or if somehow ATF can affect emissions in some arbitrary way. Given how much a transmission costs to replace, I'm not going to take that chance.

Wikipedia PSA Engine Article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine#DW10

tHwi40c.png

I encourage any others running JWS 3309 or Toyota T-IV with this engine/gearbox combination to look into it.

Last edited:
AW-1 seems to stand for Aisin Warner, the name for a terminated joint venture used by the Aisin Seiki Co. They distribute the fluid to manufacturers who sell through their dealers. You can buy it at greatly varying prices which depend on the car maker - Toyota, Land Rover, GM, PSA, etc etc. Some even write AW-1 on the label.

Aisin don't make the fluid, so the trick is to find the correct spec.

Last edited:
I would only ever use oem spec / supplied fluid in an auto transmission. It's just not worth getting it wrong.

Are you sure it's Euro 5? RHR DW10B was Euro 4 from memory and replaced by RHH DW10C Euro 5 around 2010. If the Pug parts system operates as per Citroen, you will be able to look the car up via VIN and see what emission level it has in the 'Characeristics' page and the oil spec is probably shown on one of the gearbox parts pages. I'd trust the PSA database over Wikipedia.

Here is page 422 from the 2008 Citroen C5 mechanics' handbook, with fluid JWS 3309 listed for the transmission with the DW10B engine.
handbook.jpg

Are you sure it's Euro 5? RHR DW10B was Euro 4 from memory and replaced by RHH DW10C Euro 5 around 2010. If the Pug parts system operates as per Citroen, you will be able to look the car up via VIN and see what emission level it has in the 'Characeristics' page and the oil spec is probably shown on one of the gearbox parts pages. I'd trust the PSA database over Wikipedia.

All DPF equipped PSA motors meet euro 5 as far as I know. (Adblue + DPF = euro 6)

I'm not so sure that's the blanket situation.

I've just looked up 2 random cars, admittedly Citroen - Picasso (2007/8) and C5 X7 (2009) with DW10B RHR engines and both show 'L5' pollution gear with a FAP, but also specify the following gearbox oil: 9980 D4 (RP 9730 AF) OIL JWS 3309 2 LITER.

Same for a 2.7HDi C6 with AM6, L5 pollution and JWS 3309 oil.

L5 is apparently not Euro 5, but Euro 4. I found this:
Help with 307CC emissions - Peugeot Forums
and it includes a link to a Peugeot document that is helpful and explains L5 does not meant Euro 5.
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-206/206/info/gb/b1kb04k3.htm

Designations ...
new designation
psa designation
VP
psa designation
VU
EURO 96EURO 2
L3W3
EURO 2000
EURO 3L4W4
EURO 2005EURO 4L5W5

For a DW10C RHH C5 X7, the characteristics state 'Euro 5' pollution gear, which accords with my recollection when that engine appeared and was then also introduced on the Picasso. I assume much the same for the Pug models. The JWS oil spec is not present in the gearbox parts listing as it was for the L5 cars. So, maybe, it;s meant to use AW-1 instead, but that info is elsewhere.

There is only 2 fluids currently in use for the PSA equipped aisin warner 6 speed boxes.

You have AM6 which uses jws3309. <2010 models

And AM6 3, AT6 and EAT6, which uses jws3324. 2010 models>

Toyota T-IV more than likely meets the same specs aw-1/jws3309 etc. These gearboxes are known for valve body faults that cause these symptoms.

Service Box gave me this after inputting my VIN:

xwIJ6rr.png

I hope you guys are right, it's the difference between me doing a single flush of fresh T-IV as opposed to triple flush using 12 litres of AW-1.

There is only 2 fluids currently in use for the PSA equipped aisin warner 6 speed boxes.

You have AM6 which uses jws3309. <2010 models

And AM6 3, AT6 and EAT6, which uses jws3324. 2010 models>

Toyota T-IV more than likely meets the same specs aw-1/jws3309 etc. These gearboxes are known for valve body faults that cause these symptoms.

This post is contradictory. JWS 3309 and AW-1 are not the same spec. If so, this thread wouldn't exist.

Could I just remind everyone that the next full moon is not due until 11 February. Discussion of oils (and tyres) is out of cycle...:nownow:

Could I just remind everyone that the next full moon is not due until 11 February. Discussion of oils (and tyres) is out of cycle...:nownow:
But if I use that oil, Craig, what tyres should I then use?

This post is contradictory. JWS 3309 and AW-1 are not the same spec. If so, this thread wouldn't exist.

You may find AW-1 exceeds JWS3309. Your documentation claims 3309 can't be substituted for AW-1, but is silent on the possible substitution of AW-1 for 3309. Possibly the Penrite oil meets AW-1 and exceeds 3309. Or it may be claimed to exceed both specs. You'd have to ask Penrite if you need to know.

But if I use that oil, Craig, what tyres should I then use?

Round ones. How often should you oil them though? If you use a high ZDDP oil, wear may be reduced.

You may find AW-1 exceeds JWS3309. Your documentation claims 3309 can't be substituted for AW-1, but is silent on the possible substitution of AW-1 for 3309. Possibly the Penrite oil meets AW-1 and exceeds 3309. Or it may be claimed to exceed both specs. You'd have to ask Penrite if you need to know.

Good suggestion. Why is this so convoluted!

Round ones. How often should you oil them though? If you use a high ZDDP oil, wear may be reduced.

Nope, round tyres cannot be used in conjunction with Euro spec headlight fluid.

The Penrite link I posted earlier claims compatibility with AW-1, and JWS 3324, and JWS 3309.

The Total link claims compatibility with AW-1 and also JWS 3324.

I changed mine with total fluidmatic mv ,from a distributer in bris[ southside ] ,thought i had the number in my phone ,cant seem to find it ,i got 3 4litre containers and changed it ,3 times over a couple of weeks my car had done 95k ,and although it was operating ok the fluid was not translucent and not burnt ,it had a stale smell to it ,trans has been fine since ,fingers crossed. Pugs from memory 3.5 liter drain and fill