AL4 reliability = Awesome !

I'm not an auto driver by preference, but the AL4 is the best autotran I've ever used, inasmuch it's quite happy to be manually shifted up or down whenever I want, and sporty enough for the XU10J4R donk in my 306. The sport mode is good for some hills, quicker kickdown to maintain speed for ascent, and going down a gear automatically for descent.

I also agree with Demannu that in full auto mode, some of its decisions re changing are a bit baffling - but I find in such situations when it's being stupidly robotic, it's also easy to fool :p

BTW I posted this earlier in the Pug forum re AL4s: https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...smission-kit-for-306-al4.140143/#post-1667234

I have a 2002 Clio 1.4 with the DP0 autobox which had clean oil when I bought it and changed it.
It's nice but I do have a question: is it normal that after it upshifts to 3rd, which is smooth, quickly after there is a small bump/jerk?
It's the only time I feel it shifting. All other shifts are smooth especially to 4th.

I have a 2002 Clio 1.4 with the DP0 autobox which had clean oil when I bought it and changed it.
It's nice but I do have a question: is it normal that after it upshifts to 3rd, which is smooth, quickly after there is a small bump/jerk?
It's the only time I feel it shifting. All other shifts are smooth especially to 4th.
Hi AS1,
To answer your question with a silly answer. We are up-side -down in Australia so we get silly things happen to our cars because the oil is in in the top of the box :rolleyes: :mallet:

The real answer is what you feel shortly after the gear changes up, is the clutch in the torque convertor locking up to direct drive, to save slipping and save fuel. :cool:This transmission after it is warmed up, normally locks the TC in gears 2,3,4 soon after a change. Lots of people comment on that and even think it is another gear change.
cheers Jaahn

Yeah it feels gear changish but not quite.
I wonder if replacing the solenoids has any effect on this.
It does help to give it a certain amount of throttle. Not too much or too little.
Note that mine also does this when cold and, on second thought, it's not after upshift to 3rd but after 2nd...I think.

I agree, the AL$ is awesome ... the 1.6thp turbo is just amazing ... the 90's strut mounts were just fabulous... the 1.6 diesel is magical. :dance: We could go on for days about the amazing stuff :dance: