AL4 gearbox problems

That's the box stuffed then, it's even worse today.
Would something like this drop straight in or would I have to change anything to make it work?
http://bit.ly/1jBXTuC

From what I can tell, all AL4/DPO are the same apart from final drive ratios and bellhousings (and assorted detail differences in brackets and loom lengths etc).

Sounds even more complicated!
Right, I can't let this go, I have a need to fix this so Im going to take the plunge and remove the box, strip it and rebuild it.
I have a rebuild manual however it doesn't state in there the procedure for getting it out of the car.
is there anyone on here with knowledge / experience of the best way to do this and any tips so I don't F$£€ it up!
any info / links that would help me would be most appreciated.
I found this thread French Car Forum ? View topic - c8 automatic gearbox (al4) issues on another forum and his problem sounds very familiar, he sorted his by changing the oil filter so Im hoping that's all it is.

The box is finally out and ready to be stripped!! Not the easiest thing to do without the aid of a hoist but it came out all the same. Putting it back in....hmm well Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,072
Great. Have you got the documentation on teardown/rebuild? Damned if I can find mine at present. It shows assorted special tools for things like depressing servo covers and forming the shape of seal edges.

What's your plan if there are shot bushings?

Just got this to follow AL4 & DPO transmission rebuild manual going to improvise with the special tools and as for the bushings....there's no mention of bushings in that.
if you have any info that could help that would be great.
As you know my problem happened when I put the incorrect oil in the transmission, how do I drain and clean out the torque convertor as it seems to be a sealed unit.

I would strongly recommend it is rebuilt. Try one of the two businesses mentioned.

Have a look at the Cobra or Sonnax websites to see what's available in overhaul bushings.

I swear this car is cursed!!!
I have had the box in and three times today!!! Each time I go to put it in the torque convertor turns freely as soon as the box and engine are bolted together the torque convertor will not turn to enable me to refit the securing nuts. It's jamming so much that the engine won't turn either because of it.
i take the box out and the torque convertor is jammed somehow on the gearbox it won't turn and it certainly won't pull off by hand like it did when it was first removed.
Ive had to use an improvised puller and some scissor jacks to get it off. Once off it will go back on and turn freely.
I can't work it out.
Has anyone come across this problem before? What am I doing wrong??

This is a big problem. You haven't seated the converter fully.

It's quite possible the pump is now damaged from the pressure applied. You need to dismantle and inspect the pump.

When you say seated properly, which way do you mean. As far in to the gearbox as possible or slightly out towards the fly wheel?
If the box is turned in the side so that the convertor / pump is at the top uppermost the convertor will revolve freely and then will drop further down into the box. It won't turn then but it isn't getting jammed as I'm not trying to force it to revolve.
when it drops at that point should it still be able to revolve?

It should be free to rotate even after each progressive step of engagement. You might feel some resistance from fresh oil seals but that's about all.

That was spot on and just goes to show what can happen if you don't put the convertor on properly to begin with. Lesson learnt!!
Right where can I get a replacement bit or pump from?image.jpg

Bugger! I think the oil pump was superseded and the new part covered all variants. I'd point you at a transmission rebuilder unless the dealers are cheaper. Should be the same pump in the Renault variant.

2262.26 is the PSA number, can't find the Renault number, Aliexpress possibly cheapest at about USD$200 with carriage, +VAT

Last edited:
Have bought a few mountain bike bits from the site, different sellers. So far so good.

Thought i posted that yesterday :confused:
VM Transmission Products LTD, 1 Viveash Close, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 4RY; 020 8848 9911
or VMYP Midlands Ltd., Unit 10 Conduit Road, Norton Canes, Staffs, WS11 9TJ, 01543 270555

I've bought from the first one and had very good service

Dam too late I've already forked out for one. Thanks anyway.
The centre cog in the pump (the one that broke) has two lugs on it, which way do the lugs need to be facing towards the top of the pump or back. The top being that closest to the torque convertor.

Addo will know. I've only ever dismantled one just to have a look. Don't remember - sorry.