Advice welcome 2015 308 purchase

BluePom

Tadpole
Tadpole
Just wanting opinions and advice on the availability & cost of AdBlue tanks for a 2015 308 t9 in Australia.

I finally found a diesel 308 to purchase (privately) and during the test drive all the warnings came on - Urea, countdown for AdBlue and service light. The adblue tank is full. I was so annoyed I left pretty quick, but after doing my research I am thinking about getting it anyway and fixing it. Such a nice car and I still miss my 307 from years gone by in the UK!

Anyways any advice on sourcing parts and mechanics that are willing to do the work/ have the right software. Apart from the adblue issue the car is a 1 owner vehicle all servicing up-to-date BUT they are selling because they don't want to fix this issue. I'm reading it could be anywhere from $3-5k in Aus, is that a reasonable estimate? My other concern is can it be done? My father in law has a Jeep and the wait for parts is crazy!!

Appreciate any feedback or advice!

Had the same problem with same Pug. could have been partially caused by not enough driving, particularly not being used over 2000 rpm !
2015 Blue hdi Allure Touring 100K's , magic car but lost its lustre after diagnosis at 2 separate garages .
Diagnosis said low pressure in Adblue tank which was topped up, took 7 litres and had done 18k's since last top up.
Phoned Peugeot Dealer in Perth, a 700k round trip and they were less than helpful, we need to see the car, blah, blah,blah, but replacement AdBlue tank was $3-$4000, because it's a BIG Job.
A mate tracked down a new Adblue tank out of Poland which is supposedly where they are made, $850 complete delivered to our home in W.A and not that hard to fit apparently !
But it gets better.
A Non Pug mechanic mate said get in the car, get it up to normal operating temp, hold it in 3rd gear, somewhere around 3500-4000rpm and drive it for at least 25K's. preferably out on an open road where you don't have to stop and start !
Hey presto, all the engine management lights went out, including the AdBlue light, that was 6 months ago and it hasn't shown any further scary engine lights.
Worth a try, failing that get a tank out of Poland, not the Peugeot Dealer, unless they want to get real about their pricing structure !
Good luck

Just had the Adblue tank in our 2018 Touring replaced under warranty by Peugeot.

Give your local dealer a call and see what they can do for you. They tend to be more helpful with cars with full Pug service histories.

Cheers

Justin

The open road drive regenerates the particle filter. There's no need to use 3rd gear.

Hey N5GT16 how many K's had your 308 Hdi done before they replaced the Adblue tank ?
Just wanting opinions and advice on the availability & cost of AdBlue tanks for a 2015 308 t9 in Australia.

I finally found a diesel 308 to purchase (privately) and during the test drive all the warnings came on - Urea, countdown for AdBlue and service light. The adblue tank is full. I was so annoyed I left pretty quick, but after doing my research I am thinking about getting it anyway and fixing it. Such a nice car and I still miss my 307 from years gone by in the UK!

Anyways any advice on sourcing parts and mechanics that are willing to do the work/ have the right software. Apart from the adblue issue the car is a 1 owner vehicle all servicing up-to-date BUT they are selling because they don't want to fix this issue. I'm reading it could be anywhere from $3-5k in Aus, is that a reasonable estimate? My other concern is can it be done? My father in law has a Jeep and the wait for parts is crazy!!

Appreciate any feedback or advice!
And how many K's has the 308 done just as a matter of interest ?

Hey N5GT16 how many K's had your 308 Hdi done before they replaced the Adblue tank ?

And how many K's has the 308 done just as a matter of interest ?
About 60K ? Not sure what that has to do with the issue though?

If the pump / tank doesn't work - it doesn't work. What you''ve mentioned are multiple seperate issues though.

Cheers

Justin

Sorry Cobber, I doubled up, the second question was meant for the original inquiry from Blue Pom !

Thanks for all your replies, sorry I've only just checked back in. So my wife loves the car so I've taken a punt and purchased it, hopefully not a bad decision. Ive got to say it did put a smile on my face driving it home!

Thanks for the idea Barry, I did do a freeway run and kept revs over 3,500 would have definitely got to temp to do a dpf burn but unfortunately didn't fix the emissions warning and urea light - worth a shot though!

Car has done 140,000kms

I chucked a Bluetooth OBD2 reader in it, but using torque I was only able to read gauges, not coming up with faults/service light. Any apps that will actually link into Peugeot's system?

I called a few places in Adelaide and Dodsons said they'd check out the errors and let me know if it's a new tank job, so starting there with it I think!

It's not always the urea reservoir at fault. Sometimes, the injector leaks and there can be other issues that are not the reservoir. So you do need to read the fault codes and find out what the car thinks has gone wrong as a first step.

You don't need to rev it out to regenerate the particle filter. Drive it above 60 for around half an hour every so often and that's usually enough. The people who usually have trouble are those who do little more than drive in heavy traffic or only the 3km from home to work / station / shops and back. It never has the opportunity to run a regeneration cycle. It doesn't suffer from the problems that some Japanese brands have become known for recently.

Thanks for the info David, will find out the fault codes from the mechanic, unless you are aware of an app or reader that can read them?
Won't have an issue with doing long drives in the future, being a new purchase no idea on its history. It must be a slightly different regen system to other vehicles. I know in the past the exhaust gas temp must reach a certain point before the regen would happen. In a 2014 Jeep GC if you manually trigger a particle filter regen whilst stationary (using obd) it holds revs at 3,500 for 5 - 15 minutes depending on the flow rate and temp.

The steady drive typical of the open road triggers the computer to regenerate when needed. Since extremely hot material is emitted from the tailpipe the computer is programmed to not regenerate in circumstances that look to it like traffic or pedestrians may be close.

If you force a regen using the OBD port and suitable software, it's a hot and unpleasant business with high revs best started outdoors and not over vegetation. There is no simple driver switch to start a regen in Peugeot diesels.

The factory fault and sensor reader is Diagbox. You need OBD to USB hardware and a laptop. There are other all purpose software programs like Delphi's, and these are all discussed a lot in AF. Use the search box.

In between are expensive repair trade readers.

At the lower end of utility are any number of simple OBD2 code readers, some wired, some Bluetooth, from about $50 up. These usually read and reset error codes only. Peugeot uses a large number of manufacturer specific codes (first digit = 1) and the cheap and many trade devices won't usually give you an optimum interpretation, but the forum can help..

Could it be a faulty adblue cap? I’ve read that somewhere I’m sure

I did check the tank cap, but it is the updated vented one, thanks for the thought tho!

I took it into the mechanics last week, I had started to download Diagbox but very time poor at the moment, mechanic was great only charged $50 to run through everything and reset the countdown.
Was told P20EE 00 fault code present and the result was the tank injectors are at fault, there only solution is to order a new tank in from France and fit that, looking to be around $2500 to supply and fit. I had a look around and found a few cheaper new tanks in Europe but only saving $900 and that's from a supplier I've never dealt with and would still need to install which I believe requires updating software.
I had allowed for 3k to fix the issue when purchasing the car to be on the safe side, looks like I'll be spending the 2500 and fingers crossed that's the only issue!

I seem to have read a number of similar stories about this issue. My friend persisted with Peugeot and they replaced the tank etc for no charge. Sometimes referral to the government consumer protection authority is needed.

P20EE or P20E8? P20E8 is a loss of pressure from the pump and usually means another reservoir. P20EE is a more general ineffective DeNOx fault code and could have a number of causes. Was it the only fault?

P20EE or P20E8? P20E8 is a loss of pressure from the pump and usually means another reservoir. P20EE is a more general ineffective DeNOx fault code and could have a number of causes. Was it the only fault?

Hi David,
The only fault the mechanic listed was P20EE, I haven't been able to find much out about it. I'm thinking the mechanic is maybe taking a punt that replacing the whole thing will sort the issue. Could P20EE potentially relate to faults that won't be fixed by a new tank? Guessing it could be a sensor, although surely each sensor would have a unique code..
I think I might have to get diagbox myself and then try activating each stage of the cycle to see what's not operating, never know might be something easier to source.

I seem to have read a number of similar stories about this issue. My friend persisted with Peugeot and they replaced the tank etc for no charge. Sometimes referral to the government consumer protection authority is needed.
Only just purchased the car privately second hand, it does have full service history from the dealer, but it is now 7 years old and we are the second owner so didn't think Peugeot would even talk to us to be honest. Guess it might be worth a call, although not sure who we would call, local Peugeot dealer or Peugeot Aus?

It is definitely worth a call or email to head office. Due to Australian consumer law, you can argue a car should last up to 10 years/200,000km before major faults develop. I know people have used this to get timing chain jobs done for free. It doesn't matter if you are the second owner or if you serviced outside the dealer network.