Accelarator not returning to idle

Greg Luke

Fellow Frogger
my 504 LTI (Kugelfischer Fuel Injection) is not returning to idle position
and subsequently KLUNKS into gear wheen selected.
The pedal is already stiff to depress.
Can I adjust the spring at the pump area?
Thank you

From your description of klunks into gear I assume it is an auto , if so make sure its not the kick down cable that is causing your high idle , disconnect it and reassess .
The throttle butterfly shaft can get sticky in the manifold , try and lubricate it first .
The throttle pedal pivot in the cabin also can get sticky , there is a 17 mm nut holding the pin to the body and a spring clip holding pedal onto the pin , dismantle and clean and lubricate .
You can increase the spring tension by moving the spring round a few notches

Should I run the motor without kick down cable?
Probably not, or not for long. Many transmissions that use a kick-down cable (certainly the BW35) also use it to adjust clamping pressure in the clutches. Disconnected cable will have the transmission thinking "closed throttle: minimal pressure will do", meanwhile your foot on the floor has the injectors squirting out maximum torque and the clutch packs slipping. People might think you've popped in a CVT!

If running engine in park just to check throttle response kick down cable disconnected shouldn’t matter,as rally said check lockdown cable for fraying.as Rob’s said the lockdown cable connects to valve which among other things increases pressure to clutch packs under load.another area where they can catch/stick is on the accelerated pedal itself,if floor mounted which I think yours is,they get a wear section in the two slots that the accelerator pivot lever slides in which ends up like a ridge in there to catch on..just a thought…jim