A1 Grand Prix

Poo-Go

1000+ Posts
Anyone know anything about this? Should be interesting.

A winter (ie, F1 off-season) international racing series. 500KWish open wheelers. I think they have less downforce and skinnier tyres than F1. All teams (national teams) on identical (or near) machinery.

Has the support of some pretty big motorsport names.

Anyone know anymore. I'm betting CHRI'S16 does.

Discuss!

LookingforMi16 said:
Anyone know anything about this? Should be interesting.

A winter (ie, F1 off-season) international racing series. 500KWish open wheelers. I think they have less downforce and skinnier tyres than F1. All teams (national teams) on identical (or near) machinery.

Has the support of some pretty big motorsport names.

Anyone know anymore. I'm betting CHRI'S16 does.

Discuss!
Yup!!! It was produced by Shiek Aktoum, and it is franchise based. The cars are LOLA Chassis, with a 500Hp (with extra 50Hp push to pass button) V8's on AVON tyres.
The country/area that want's in buys a car/setup and become part of the A1GP and join the other nations and their repective driver.
Australia already has a team, but AFAIK we havn't taken delivery of our car yet.
I have a very well produced promotional DVD that explains it well, even if it is a fair bit selling and self promotion.
They are marketing as the World Cup of Auto Racing!! i'm excited. - Chris

Ive read that Sydney will get a round at Eastern creek :headbang:

A worldclass motorsport event 10 mins from my place

Im with Chriss CANT WAIT....

Identical machinery should make make for fantastic racing

Insert from F1.racing-live.com

A1 Team Australia announced
15 national teams signed up so far

Another team joins A1 Grand Prix

A1 Grand Prix marked its first birthday today with the launch of A1 Team Australia exactly one year on from the championship's official launch in Dubai. With 15 national teams signed up so far and another 10 teams in the final stages of negotiations, A1 Grand Prix is now counting down to its first race this September.

To date, some of the world's most successful entrepreneurs, with an estimated net worth of 50 billion US dollars, have demonstrated their commitment to the championship by investing in their national teams. Presidents, Prime Ministers and numerous government ministers, statesmen and high-profile celebrities have backed A1 Grand Prix through attendance at the five national launches which have taken place so far.

In the latest high-profile ceremony, Australia became the sixth country to unveil their A1 Grand Prix race car and the second nation to be announced as an A1 Grand Prix race venue. A1 Grand Prix Founder, President and Chairman Sheikh Maktoum took the opportunity to confirm Sydney's Eastern Creek circuit as a race location although the exact date is still subject to negotiations.

Speaking of his country's involvement in the new championship, A1 Team Australia Chairman Alan Jones commented "There is no doubt that Australians love their sport and their motor racing. To compete in an international series and to have one race in Australia is very exciting. We are here not just to win but to use this as an opportunity for Australia’s up and coming drivers."

A1 Grand Prix Founder, President and Chairman Sheikh Maktoum spoke of his excitement for Australia's involvement in the championship. "With over 200 countries in the world and only 25 places on the A1 Grand Prix grid, I'm delighted and honoured that to have A1 Team Australia launch this evening with such national support from its government, businesses and people."

Sheikh Maktoum took the opportunity of the launch of the Australian A1 Team to announce the participation in A1 Grand Prix of Australia’s closest rival, New Zealand. The franchise has been bought by entrepreneur businessman Colin Gilchrist of Gilchrist Holdings.

Christian Jones will take the wheel of the Australian A1 Grand Prix race car for a media demonstration at the Eastern Creek circuit on Thursday 31st March.

Press release
A1 Grand Prix

:cheers:

There was a bit about it on the Sunrise show this morn. Alan Jones was on there as well talking up the series.

There was a car ont the show this morning, with Sydney sponsership on it.

25 cars/Countries in the series and $1,000,000 prize money each race I believe.

Looks like being an entertaining series.

:cheers:

Car was delivered today I believe. Australia will get a round in November - probably Eastern Creek but not confirmed.

this sounds like an intresting championship indeed, something to rival CART racing perhaps ??

Sounds more like a danger to any chance there might be of resurrecting the Bathurst 24-hour race...

Looks altogether too restrictive to me. 'Equal cars' and 'must be entered by a country' smacks of something iron curtainish. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Ray Bell said:
Sounds more like a danger to any chance there might be of resurrecting the Bathurst 24-hour race...

Looks altogether too restrictive to me. 'Equal cars' and 'must be entered by a country' smacks of something iron curtainish. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.
Come on Ray, were's your normaly ultra positive outlook on things... tell me your getting a race team in this series and you need a driver? (insert me with a big grin and my hand up) - Chris

Convince them to run it at Bathurst as a support event for the 24-hour and I'll be all for it!

And don't kid yourself, these cars could run at Bathurst if they were allowed... of course AVESCO would whinge because their V8s would no longer be the fastest things around the track.

A1 Gp

I like the concept but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out. I hope that F1 ex-champ is up to the task and is not just buying a drive for his son, Christian. Two weeks ago on SBS, I saw Will Powers (Aust) driving in F2/F3? in England. A commendable drive. Ryan Briscoe has links to Toyota, but he's also a good steerer.
This series was never designed to be a support series. It is being bank-rolled megabucks by an Arab sheik. It is meant to be "the World Series" of racing. Nation against nation. One car each. 25 in total. A worthy concept I feel and one that I am happy to support.
PS. Eastern Creek is not a showcase track, but I doubt that Bathurst would suit such high speeds.

Bathurst is fine for high speeds... no problem at all...

And it's 'Power', no 's' on the end of Will's name.

As for it being at Bathurst with a 24-hour, well, it's all right if the 24-hour is the support race too! As long as we get a 24-hour race back at Bathurst.

One car per country... way too contrived...

And the smartest thing the Sheik did?!?

Run it in the off season. That way ratings will be high and people will pay attention. Finally someone starting up a new series that is actually a new concept rather than a slightly different car doing the same thing..... clap clap. :adrink:

CHRI'S16 said:
The cars are LOLA Chassis, with a 500Hp (with extra 50Hp push to pass button) V8's on AVON tyres.

Push to pass? Tell me more... obviously something to stop it being a procession!

Well, we don't know the makeup of the engines... or at least it hasn't been discussed here...

If they're turbocharged, then it might be a means of shutting off the pop-off valve for a short burst. Then again, it might be a charge of nitrous oxide, with a limited amount in each car for each race.

Obviously aimed at promoting a bit of passing and repassing...

Ray Bell said:
Well, we don't know the makeup of the engines... or at least it hasn't been discussed here...

If they're turbocharged, then it might be a means of shutting off the pop-off valve for a short burst. Then again, it might be a charge of nitrous oxide, with a limited amount in each car for each race.

Obviously aimed at promoting a bit of passing and repassing...

It could be as simple as raising the rev limit on the engines by a 1000 or so RPM for a short period of time. I know that they do that in F1. CART they bypass the pop-off valve for a short period of time.

From what I know about the A1-GP they are V8's non-turbo. Dont know (or cant remember) the capacity!

505Exec said:
Push to pass? Tell me more... obviously something to stop it being a procession!
They are ATMO V8's that make 520Hp, by a company called Zytek. The driver will have a button to that will let the engine make 550Hp. But i think its similar to Cart in that you only get a certain amount of time over race that the button will work. I cut 'n pasted the specs below.

A1 Grand Prix engine specification
Engine Type ZA1348
Configuration 90 degree V8
Displacement 3400cc
Width 618mm
Height 542mm
Length 443mm
Weight 121kg
Cylinder Block Sand Cast Aluminium Alloy
Cylinder Head Sand Cast Aluminium Alloy
Valve Train 4 Overhead Camshafts 2 per bank4 Valves per Cylinder
Engine Management Zytek EMS 4.6.1
Ignition Zytek DCDI with coil over plug
Spark Plugs NGK
Fuel 100 Octane Racing
Max Torque 330lbs ft - 442Nm
Max Power 520 bhp - 390kW.

Relaibilty is one of the key elements that the Sheik Maktoum wanted, hence Zytek got the nod for the contract. - Chris