A few CX questions

Masta

Tadpole
Hi chaps.

I made a decision 3 years ago to replace my company car with a CX :eek: . I bought the first one that I looked at after promising myself that I wouldn't :rolleyes: , although for once it appears I made the right decision. I had a few problems at the beginning - dead heater matrix, dead a/c, rusty footwells and then about 6 months in a blown head gasket. Apart from a little surface rust the last couple of years have been great.

My biggest concern now is the sunroof :nownow: . I didn't do enough research when buying and therefore didn't realise what a disaster they could be. Anyway, the paint is just starting to bubble around the corners on the roof. Can anything be done about this? My local bodyshop told me that replacing the roof is the only option:cry:

I'm also planning to re-charge or replace all my suspension spheres. Is there any point in getting the existing ones recharged or should I just get some reconditioned ones?

Finally, my accelerator pedal gets "sticky" sometimes which makes smooth progress next to impossible. It seems to be particularly bad after a long motorway run or when the weather is hot (well, hot for the UK anyway). I thought that I'd start by replacing the accelerator cable, but I'd welcome any suggestions as to what else it might be. The car is a Series 2 turbo diesel.

Cheers
Andy

Masta said:
Hi chaps.

I made a decision 3 years ago to replace my company car with a CX :eek: . I bought the first one that I looked at after promising myself that I wouldn't :rolleyes: , although for once it appears I made the right decision. I had a few problems at the beginning - dead heater matrix, dead a/c, rusty footwells and then about 6 months in a blown head gasket. Apart from a little surface rust the last couple of years have been great.

My biggest concern now is the sunroof :nownow: . I didn't do enough research when buying and therefore didn't realise what a disaster they could be. Anyway, the paint is just starting to bubble around the corners on the roof. Can anything be done about this? My local bodyshop told me that replacing the roof is the only option:cry:

I'm also planning to re-charge or replace all my suspension spheres. Is there any point in getting the existing ones recharged or should I just get some reconditioned ones?

Finally, my accelerator pedal gets "sticky" sometimes which makes smooth progress next to impossible. It seems to be particularly bad after a long motorway run or when the weather is hot (well, hot for the UK anyway). I thought that I'd start by replacing the accelerator cable, but I'd welcome any suggestions as to what else it might be. The car is a Series 2 turbo diesel.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I suggest you might be able to get more help on the CX-L list on the yahoogroups server. The Series II CX was never sold in Australia.

As for sunroof rust .... Yep, you have come to the right place, Archrival (one of the few people that own a Series II GTi Turbo personal import) in Australia has his sunroof in bits at the moment.

Without seeing the car it's impossible to give suggestions, though I imagine they should be able to weld some new metal in without replacing the whole roof.

As you live in the UK, replacement spheres are probably cheaper than regassing (try andyspares). The accellerator cable sounds like it binds when it becomes warm. I'd suggest replacement or pulling it off and drowning the cable in a tub of oil for a few days.

I wouldn't waste any $$$$ trying to fix the air-con, it's works extremelly poorly even when it does work.

seeya,
Shane L.

Sun Roof

Sorry I cann't help cause the sun roof in my car is after market and the roof its self is good just the installation drainage and electrics is shit but getting better as I progress As to A/C I am about to upgrade my car to the super air available to australian cars ie an additional unit in the boot I don't know whether this will improve the performance or not ?

ARCHRIVAL said:
s As to A/C I am about to upgrade my car to the super air available to australian cars ie an additional unit in the boot I don't know whether this will improve the performance or not ?

I have travelled in a CX with this setup (rebuilt) - it works pretty well - no icebox, but way better than the rather pathetic (and noisy) attempts that my D's A/C system makes on hot days. :rolleyes:

Look also at some form of valve to shut off the heater matrix completely when you have the A/C on - this one has a pneumatic (or electric?) one which makes a big difference.

Paul

ARCHRIVAL said:
Sorry I cann't help cause the sun roof in my car is after market and the roof its self is good just the installation drainage and electrics is shit but getting better as I progress As to A/C I am about to upgrade my car to the super air available to australian cars ie an additional unit in the boot I don't know whether this will improve the performance or not ?

If it's aftermarket, you may be able to get the liner part you need from the manufacturer :confused: After all is appears to be a well made sunroof going by the photo's.

seeya,
Shane L.

Sun roof

Yes shane the sun roof its self is good and all the bits are fixable or useable the trick is to make it look like it belongs as the original has that sculptured ridge down the centre and every thing looks well designed as it should see photo of same age turbo desile hiding in a certain garage in WA :wink2:

Attachments

• turb diesile sun roof.JPG
    turb diesile sun roof.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 220
ddddrrrrroooooooolllllllllllll CX2500 DTR Turbo II ... me want ... where :confused: :confused: :banana: :banana: :banana:

That does look quite different to the Series II without sunroof and Series I with sunroof. Is it a Prestige :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

Thanks for the advice, Shane. I'll give the CX-L group a try. I had the aircon fixed, but I sometimes wonder whether it was worth it. Anything much of 20degC and it starts to struggle.

Cheers
Andy