A/C Problem

is it posssibl that the wires to the pressure switch ,have been disconected inadvertantly while fiddling with the fan wireing ,thereby giveing the impresion that the system is low on gas when in fact it isnt .PUGS sorry about the spelling my mouse has died ,christmas morning and my big fingers arnt copeing with this touch sensitive thing
Yes, and that's my point. ANYTHING is possible.
The OP must establish (with empirical evidence) that things are or are not working.
For example the dye on the outside of the compressor is evidence that at some time UV dye got onto the outside of the compressor. It is not proof that the compressor is leaking...now! However you could assume that it is leaking!? BUT there is apparently contradictory evidence! So what do you do?
Logical fault finding (in the absence of test equipment) works from the easiest thing to check, to the hardest.
My recommendation is to check that the thermo fan(s) work correctly. That should be easy to establish.

Yes, and that's my point. ANYTHING is possible.
The OP must establish (with empirical evidence) that things are or are not working.
For example the dye on the outside of the compressor is evidence that at some time UV dye got onto the outside of the compressor. It is not proof that the compressor is leaking...now! However you could assume that it is leaking!? BUT there is apparently contradictory evidence! So what do you do?
Logical fault finding (in the absence of test equipment) works from the easiest thing to check, to the hardest.
My recommendation is to check that the thermo fan(s) work correctly. That should be easy to establish.
Come on man check out his other "diagnostic " post it's pure shotgun best to sit back with the popcorn

Reactions: cjl
Help those who help themselves... Basic troubleshooting 101. Establish cause and effect, one issue at a time, and don't make changes to more than one area otherwise you'll never know which one cause/fixed an issue... Popcorn time!

It's a pity that the tech did not actually check the pressure in the system.
You have two diametrically opposed conditions:
1) Oil/dye on the outside of the compressor indicating a leak.
2) No loss of pressure/refrigerant (apparently).
I can not establish, in fact, how dye got on the outside of the compressor and yet the system pressure is OK. Is it a slight leak but there is still enough refrigerant to run the system? Is the dye left over from a previous failure? Don't know.
As I said it is possible to have pressure in the system, but not enough to activate the clutch. This establishes a possible leak from the compressor.
You MUST establish that at least one part of the system is working correctly! Without some sort of proof that a thing is or isn't working it's all assumption, and you know what happens when you ass-u-me!
So far you have only proven (in my mind) that the clutch can be made to engage, but that is not of much help. A good start, but you need to keep going.
However, my assumption above still stands. In the absence of further evidence; it was working before you fiddled with it, then it stopped after...therefor disturbing it is the cause of the failure.
I have engaged the clutch and run the motor for about 5/6 minutes but there was no cold air from the vents, have not checkrd to see if the fan is working, will do that tomorrow and get back to you. I will also go back to Natrad and ask them to test the pressure in the system
Thanks for your help.

Is, or is there not, enough information in all the wise replies above to sort the issue out by now? Unfortunately,the professionals seem as confused as anybody . I profess no knowledge of aircon units in cars as the 203 doesn't have any except an adjustable sheet of glass. I do acknowledge however, that your situation would drive any of us bonkers but your perseverance is admirable. 🤔
Good luck ,patience should be rewarded.

Is, or is there not, enough information in all the wise replies above to sort the issue out by now? Unfortunately,the professionals seem as confused as anybody . I profess no knowledge of aircon units in cars as the 203 doesn't have any except an adjustable sheet of glass. I do acknowledge however, that your situation would drive any of us bonkers but your perseverance is admirable. 🤔
Good luck ,patience should be rewarded.
Well the fan is operational when engine temperature is 90c. Tried to book in for gas pressure test, so far all are booked up till late January.
Tomorrow I will remove the engine fan and replace the wiring with another fan that I have, why I have not done so before is that an auto electrition cut the wires off the relay housing and rewired the system on my other Peugeot 407.

I forgot to mention this, when I took the car back to Natrad, they checked the whole system to give me a quote for the repair, which was $3,400 odd. They told me in the quote that they would not charge me for the regas as they would extract the gas and use that to regas after the repairs, this is why I thought that system was still fully charged!!!
Still looking for an Auto A/C company to test the pressure properly, earlyest 4th Jan 2022 after holidays.

I forgot to mention this, when I took the car back to Natrad, they checked the whole system to give me a quote for the repair, which was $3,400 odd. They told me in the quote that they would not charge me for the regas as they would extract the gas and use that to regas after the repairs, this is why I thought that system was still fully charged!!!
Still looking for an Auto A/C company to test the pressure properly, earlyest 4th Jan 2022 after holidays.
Lord! I have just picked myself up from the floor re. that quote. It's probably worth exercising patience a little longer as Jan. 4
is just about here . Looks like winding the window down my have rewards for a little longer. Forget Natrad...... there are so many good, small,individual guys out there! They'll all be back on January 4. I would have thought there would be quite a few around your part of the world. Again good luck and leave those prices to the brain surgeons! o_O🤑

Two things to mention first the A/C Compressors at Aliexpress fit nearly every Peugeot but not the 407, secondly have bought a new A/C Comressor form Cool Air at campbelltown NSW for $619.00. Hears hoping that will finaly solve the problem.
PS checked the engine fan wiring unable to find anything that might have been the issue.

Thanks to all that replied to my questions. Finally able to have an insepection done, compressor has shat itself.
My delema now is buy a used one, same thing may happen due to no usage, (seals shot) buy a new one $619.00 or keep looking on Aliexpress, in China!!
This starting to become War and Peace
Thank again all

I have just had exactly the same issue on my soon to be driven over a cliff i30, except I didn't do any of the electrical test you did.
Paid for the mechanic to sniff out the leak with his wizz bang leak sniffer, and of course after much scrutiny and yoga (and more expense), leak was found to be under the dash, in the hardest place to find, and the hardest place to service. GRR

$2000+ quote to replace,:mad:

Bough a new car with AC that works
Its not a hard job, just time consuming... A weekend job.

Hang on a second. If the clutch pulley is not engaging how would you expect it to work? Or am I missing something?

I would suggest you disconnect all the relevant circuitry and power the clutch directly from a healthy 12V first. That should clarify something. Next move to relays and such.
There is a high/low pressure switch built into most receiver driers. If the system pressure is to and high or to low .... the clutch will never engage. In my leaky old cars, I just throw another $15bucks of bang gas into them. Gets you through summer. Its a pretty small leak for them to leak down over 12months or so :)

You are all just guessing until he throws some gauges on it and sees what is going on. Modern cars suck as there evaporators are enormous jobs to get to, so no-one will want to look at it. Rather they just throw more gas in and say "we tried, but didn't find a leak". I don't blame them. I HATE pulling apart modern cars dashboards where everythig is brittle plastic and assembled by robots outside the car.

I just throw nitrogen in mine here... Throw in 150'ish psi then run around all the connections with soapy water. When I fixed up the shitbox range rover last week, I found two leaking Orings. One on the TX valve and one on the high side fitting under the bonnet.

Last edited: