85 Fuego Rear Shockers -Something stiffer?

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hello, again, guys and girls. How was your Easter break? Hope it was as relaxing and pleasant as mine.

OK, so I've straightened the needles in the speedo and tacho, realigned the wipers and done some general cabin rewiring, as previous posts will show.

I still think my suspension is too soft. I get absolutely great grip around the turns but also get a lot of body roll. The right rear wheel arch has a bolt and nut (suspension end?) protruding a little into the tyre's space and the tyre rubs (at the edge of the tread pattern) on it during tight turns, epecially when there are two adults in the back, or a bootload of pavers.

Can anyone suggest why this bolt is there? Has it punched through accidentally in a past life? Can I replace the shockers (original I presume) with something a bit stiffer? I'm running on 14" Camira SLE mags and 185/65 Bridgestones.

Thanks for great advice as always.

<small>[ 29 April 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: The Gonz ]</small>

you want stiffer suspension in a Fuego??!! I hope you have a good kidney belt to go with that...

What you need is firmer sway bars, not firmer springs. Fuegos spring/damper rates are quite well matched. I have 16's on mine and body roll is next to non existent. If you increase the swaybar strength, the difference to ride is negligable. If you increase the spring rate the thing will ride like a truck.

Regards,
Richard

The Gonz:
The right rear wheel arch has a bolt and nut (suspension end?) protruding a little into the tyre's space and the tyre rubs (at the edge of the tread pattern) on it during tight turns, epecially when there are two adults in the back, or a bootload of pavers.

Can anyone suggest why this bolt is there? Has it punched through accidentally in a past life? Can I replace the shockers (original I presume) with something a bit stiffer? I'm running on 14" Camira SLE mags and 185/65 Bridgestones.
The bolt wouldn't be a seat belt bolt that is too long?

What offset are the Camira wheels? I'm just wondering if the offset places the tread of the tyres closer to the centre of the car, stability would then be affected and may make the car feel like it is rolling more. Probably get a tape measure and measure the track to see if it is narrower than standard. Also it could be worn soggy shock absorbers.

Also could be worn trailing arm bushes allowing the axle to move around, touching bolts, feeling soggy ......

The trailing arms dont control axle location on a fuego. The centeral A arm controls lateral movement. If the bushes on this arm are worn, the axle assebly will move left or right under lateral loads.

What simon said is right, it is probably a non original seat belt bolt that is rubbing. I usually run 205/45 R16's and nothing rubs.

From memory of the sight of another Fuego with Camira wheels, the offset is different for sure. Better going with a set of 14s or 15s with the correct offset and appropriately profiled tyres.

Hmmm...Two clear ideas to take with me, just for starters: I'll start researching the swaybar option and sus out the seat belt anchor point (at least this one won't cost anything!)

The wheel/tyre match can wait - that sounds like more than I want to spend :(

Back when I've had the weekend to take a look - thanks again, guys! :D

If you want to stiffen up the rear end, you can always mount 2 swaybars, piggy backed on top of each other. Just don't ever back of the gas whilst flying around a roundabout or you will be looking at the scenery (oversteer city......)

Just a pet hate of mine as of late, i hate how Renault made the rear track on the Fuego shorter than the front track...i suppose its for handling purposes.

hi renault_ in regards to the seat belt bolt and the suround i used a grinder to cut off the the peice and then cut down the nut untill flush with the bolt, i have 15" wheels at 6&1/2" wide and have been driving on them for 3years have not rubbed the tyres that much but i did bash in the inner panels at one point when they where rubbing but under heavy cornering and with weight yes they do rubb; renault_ not much.