85 505 s with old style lights

pug505seattle

Fellow Frogger
Mates,

I am just starting my education on my 505 s i bought over the weekend and need to learn some details.
First i am replaceing the original lights with old style dual beam rounds what do i need to change electricly to make this work?
any hint and ideas are gladley accepted
Cheers

505 lights

pug505seattle said:
Mates,

I am just starting my education on my 505 s i bought over the weekend and need to learn some details.
First i am replaceing the original lights with old style dual beam rounds what do i need to change electricly to make this work?
any hint and ideas are gladley accepted
Cheers

Why bother changing the lights? The big single lights are actually the standard lights for the cars and the two smaller ones were fitted to comply with the old US standards, ie for the US imports. The twin light system made it to Australia, but I think even there they first were sold with the single light. As long as the wiring is good and earthed properly and such and the actual reflectors are good then they are quite alright.
The benefit with the twin lights is of course that it is easy to replace the whole sealed beam and always have good lights. It shouldn't be too hard to change though. Otherwise I personally think that it is better to keep to what's on the car. If it works, leave it.
Good to hear that there are a few 505s left over there.

From what I've seen on the net, the later US 505's had what looked like our European single unit lights, however theirs were plastic not glass, and had a rectangle cut out for a standard head light globe to be inserted. I personally think both styles of light ruin the appearance of the 505. I guess it is hard to find propper Euro lights for it? The euro lights when fitted with those Philips 50% + globes have excellent performance.

Mates,
You are correct that the original lights where the round globes made to fits the us import standards.
The reason for the swap is that i want to add higher candle power lights in place of the stock configuration.
The second issue was that of the plastic lens cover for the stock lights were yellowed and very badley damaged from heat.

Question though, do you know of a better configuration of euro style lights for this than what the yanks here in the states offerd?
Just weighing my options at the moment
Cheers all

the round lights with good globes will always be a better light over the trapazoidal type lights that the 505's have got
even with relays on the 505 lights my 504's i have had have always been great and a lot better than the 505 units

know anyone in France? I would try and get a pair of proper 505 headlights (no good asking us, as ours are of course RHD spec) to replace the iffy looking US ones - they look so much better (while you are at it, get some proper bumbers - those US ones are awful. You guys got a raw deal in that respect, its like they were trying to make every import car as ugly as an american one).

No copper is going to pull you up on it these days, and with some relays and decent globes (ie 130/90 watts) ther are a good light.

My experience is that the double round lights with high power halogen globes have the best high beam, but the Trapezoidal lights have the best low beam (even with 55W globes). I guess it all comes down to the type of driving you do.

If you prefer using low power globes for some reason, then Trapezoidal lights are the best. They are the best low power lights I have ever seen, but nothing beats the high beam of double round lights with high power globes.

You can also buy a special type of Trapezoidal light with two globes (used on the European 505 turbo). I've never tried these, but Rob Oakman (Pugrambo's uncle) made his own double globe trapezoidal lights by combining a Volvo reflector (264?) with the Peugeot trapezoidal lense. The 505, 504 and some 2 series Volvos use the same reflector.

Dave

Haakon said:
know anyone in France? I would try and get a pair of proper 505 headlights (no good asking us, as ours are of course RHD spec) to replace the iffy looking US ones - they look so much better (while you are at it, get some proper bumbers - those US ones are awful. You guys got a raw deal in that respect, its like they were trying to make every import car as ugly as an american one).

No copper is going to pull you up on it these days, and with some relays and decent globes (ie 130/90 watts) ther are a good light.

Ok went to the scraper today got the wireing looms for the lights hooked them up and they work great so far.
Question is there a relay that i need to add or change in order to run the higher wattage globes?

Where is a good place for a front bumper and lower valance kit?