604s for sale?

Sans_sagesse

Fellow Frogger
Firstly, my apologies for what I know will most likely be a total waste of bandwidth. I don't mean it to be...

I could put this in the '604 register', but this I feel is a more general topic, given I don't (yet) have a 604 (again) to add to the register.

I run a C5 X7 as my 'daily' (I don't need a car to drive daily because I work from home, so perhaps it should be, 'my car when I need to go somewhere'?) but have a classic on H plates (not a Frog) that I just am not getting into anymore. I keep putting it off, but I will put it up for sale in a few months. That leaves the garage space free for something else...

After all these years I still want a Peugeot 604, but preferably not an Australian-delivered SL Solex carby car with all its problems. So that leaves the private imports (or a late local Weber car?), of which there would be... not many.

I owned (in 1988-89) a dark blue UK-import 1979 604 Ti auto in the ACT, had been re-sprayed but v rusty underneath. I saw around that time at a Peugeot gathering in Canberra a NSW-rego light-blue GTi that was in really good condition. That was 30 years ago though...

Anyone know of any really nice 604s for sale? I know of the green SL auto in SA, but still hoping for lower-kilometre UK or Euro-spec GTi or STI. Are the 604s as I described tightly held... or simply no longer exist here?

I am still tempted to save my pennies and take a family holiday to Europe, swing by France and nab a nice 604 GTi manual with sunroof and /ac off Le Bon Coin, drive it around a bit and ship it back. It would be such a waste of money (604s are and always be worth v little here) but god it would be fun.

FWIW, if you are mechanically capable it could be worthwhile to buy a local vehicle, ideally without to much rust.

And consider a top end engine transplant from a contemporary Renault of Volvo. Both of which had EFI.

The gearbox, if you want a manual , could be problematic, however I'd be looking to 505 gearbox with V6 bell housing.

Automatic should be no problem since the car was an auto in Australia.

Scotty is a good person to advise about mix and match engine options.

TBH I'm not sure the car you describe would be readily available in Europe, rust free and in the pristine condition you are hoping for.

I'd think you could pay top dollar and still have a lot of work to do when you get it home. Not to mention the shipping cost and hassle
with Dept of Infrastructure.

A couple of years back I was trying to sell a straight, almost rust-free 604 Ti 5 speed (UK import) for peanuts and got no interest. I advertised it eagerly for 12 months.

I ended up scrapping it.

If you can find a 604 with a good body and good interior, the mechanical side of things is pretty easy to bring up to scratch.