604 gearbox's

Yes, I think the auto bellhousing from a Volvo will do the job. It has the benefit of having the starter location on both sides too.

But the flywheel is still a drama. I don't think a 504 flywheel will do, and there are very few manual Volvo 264s around (I always thought there were... but apparently no).

If the crankshaft flange and bolt pattern are the same, then I'd say you can work something out, but I'm dubious.

out of curiousity what would be the difference between a flywheel from an STI or GTI engine and the PRV V6 ??
i have never laid my eyes on a flywheel from an STI or GTI engine
i know i have always used 505 clutch and pressure plates behind a PRV V6 without any trouble
so that tells me that the contact area on the flywheel for the clutch plate would be damn close between a 505 and 604 flywheel
i also used 505 master and slave cylinders with the 505 clutch resevior and a late (79 onwards) 504 clutch pedal or a 505 clutch pedal
you will find that the hinge pin for the pedal already exists in the 604 pedal box and there is a grommet behind where the pedal goes ready for the clutch rod to go through
the brake pedals unlike other makes of cars is the same in the manual and auto 604's
other makes of cars have a wider brake pedal
i think for a bell housing you could cut the front 1/2 off the 604 auto and the back 1/2 off a 505 BA10/5 bell housing and mate them together
all you need from the 604 auto housing is the mounting holes to mount it to the engine and the 505 housing to house the clutch and mount the box to it

as for the centre console you can order the plastic bits and the boot from peugeot and they literally clip into place where the auto bits are
they are just 2 pieces of plastic
grab a jigsaw and cut a hole in the tunnel and grab the gear lever assembly from a late 504 including the plate it mounts on that bolts to the tunnel and mount all that in the 604
then use the tranny tunnel cover also from a 504 to cover the hole in again under the console

for the linkages shorten the throw linkage to give you a shorter throw on the lever as the throw is pretty long and not very comfortable in my opinion to drive
it also makes it a lot easier to select reverse gear as the 604 seats seem to be a lot closer to the tunnel than 505's and the lever tends to bind on the seat or your hand hits the seat
also a good idea is to shorten the actual lever as well by around 2 inches but do this after you get everything in place and shorten it to your liking
i have long arms so i cut mine a fair way down

then put a good quality 20w/40w engine oil in the box
if you live in a cold climate or in colder months run around 1/2 a litre of ATF in the box as well this will ease load on the synchros when the box is cold. i did this for the life of any BA10/5 that i ran and never had any trouble with cold changes and as ATF keeps it's viscosity rating as it gets warm it doesn't hurt the box either

sean,

if my memory serves me right, Rob Cherry (PCCV) used a Ford flywheel in his 504v6 (ex Volvo).

give him (or Bill Hamilton) a call.

con....