604 auto

MR604

Fellow Frogger
I got the webber on the car and what a difference it makes :D
The only trouble is that the auto will only change up at full revs and on deceleration it wants to change down like its being done maually.
I'm going to change the kick-down cable as it needs replacing, but i dont think thats the problem.
The problem has only started since I put the webber on.
Any ideas please.

:cheers:

congrats on the weber
what sort did you get ?
what air cleaner are you running ?
i want details :D:D

as for the auto doing wonderful things i'd put it down the just the cable not adjusted right
too "tight" and they change up too fast and vice versa

they can be hard to get just right, it's a matter of trial and error and fine tuning

as for it trying to change down when slowing down i'd put it down to the cable as well but yes they do tend to change down when you coming to a stop
normally you can't feel it so if you can feel it i'm going to ask, when it changes normally how much can you feel the change ?
if you can really feel it change in normal driving then i'd suggest you run some nulon tranny treatment in it
but before you do that when was the oil last changed in the tranny ?
also what time delay have you got from neutral to 3 and neutral to reverse ?

I think the carbie is a 45dfc, thats the only numbers i can find :confused:
I got it off Colin so it came off a 604. I put a 9" round air filter on it from a local auto shop. It 's for XD/XE foulcans and needed modifying slightly to get it to fit.

The cable isnt connected and hasnt been since i've had the car and the change down happened slowing down to 50 from 100 and felt like manual change.

The ATF is new because i had to replace the pan gasket on the auto.

It selects drive and reverse straight away.
I'll put the new cable on it and see how that goes.

Thanks

It's funny I had the same problem when I put a Webber on the last 604 I had...the box would not change until around 4,000rpm...weird!

Ben

After finding the w/shop manual and having a little read, it looks like the problem might have something to do with vacum, or lack of.
The vacum lines aren't set up as they were previously :mallet:
I've got a bit of an idea what could be the problem so i'll see what i can do, bit like a dog chasing his tail really.

Well i checked all the hoses and every thing seems ok and connected how it should be.
The auto wont change up it self but will change manually. I have first and second, which is ok for around town, third only wants to change up at around 90km/h.
I'm still to change the kick down cable, but i dont think this is the problem, as it doesn't seem to be sticking.
Any more ideas guys?? :confused:

after thinking about this for a little while it sounds like the vaccuum modulator at the rear of the box is playing up
to remove them i think you have to remove the pan from the auto to get to a pin that holds it all in place
this could be why the pan in your car was leaking as the PO might have started the job and never finished it off
just a thought anyway