505 ZDJ timing belt query

Gday Tom,

Personally, I've never bothered counting teeth and marking belts. I always just retime them as per the book and use the 3 green lines on the belt (which I can see on the top of your new belt in the last pic). Perhaps if you have transferred marks and done it that way it might not be setup correctly?

Again, retiming the dissy is important as it can be setup 180 degrees out.

In post 14 of this thread http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/110735-one-505-gti-brains-trust.html I posted a couple of pages from the factory workshop book on setting up the belt. As the book is for the ZEJ not the ZDJ the cam timing must be done on the mark over the square hole on the pulley.

If you get the 3 lined up as per the book on the marks on the belt it won't be wrong.

Cheers
Gday Tom,

Personally, I've never bothered counting teeth and marking belts. I always just retime them as per the book and use the 3 green lines on the belt (which I can see on the top of your new belt in the last pic). Perhaps if you have transferred marks and done it that way it might not be setup correctly?

Again, retiming the dissy is important as it can be setup 180 degrees out.

In post 14 of this thread http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/110735-one-505-gti-brains-trust.html I posted a couple of pages from the factory workshop book on setting up the belt. As the book is for the ZEJ not the ZDJ the cam timing must be done on the mark over the square hole on the pulley.

If you get the 3 lined up as per the book on the marks on the belt it won't be wrong.

Cheers
Hi! Can you help me with my 505 SRi, has the zdjl engine?, i don't know where to point the distributor rotor, the factory manual mentions this

"The ignition distributor motor must be perpendicular to the engine centreline, if it is not, rotate the intermediate shaft by one or two turns clockwise"
the car never run good, and the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley doesn't match where the 0 degree mark on the plate when following the timing belt procedure :(

but no image avialable of the distributor, thanks!

1661439816744.png

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME NOW BUT I SEEM TO REMEMBER THE SLOT IN THE ,DIZZY DRIVE IS AT AN ANGLE TO THE BLOCK ,BECAUSE THERE IS SO LITTLE ROOM DOWN THERE UNDER THE PLENUM ,THE DIZZY IS LIMITED IN ITS MOVEMENT WITH THE VACUUM ADVANCE UNIT HANGING OF THE SIDE OF IT ,

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME NOW BUT I SEEM TO REMEMBER THE SLOT IN THE ,DIZZY DRIVE IS AT AN ANGLE TO THE BLOCK ,BECAUSE THERE IS SO LITTLE ROOM DOWN THERE UNDER THE PLENUM ,THE DIZZY IS LIMITED IN ITS MOVEMENT WITH THE VACUUM ADVANCE UNIT HANGING OF THE SIDE OF IT ,
Exactly! I found a manual in spanish where is indicated by image, and was perfect, finally i could tune up the car, thanks!!!

1662098720380.png