505 Wheels

Pug_405_Mi16

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
All,

I am planning on putting the Dunlop mags off the 604 onto the 505 Wagon...I assume this is possible ? although which wheel nuts will I need to use as I seem to remember 604's have a bigger stud then a 505 ?

Ben

504 run 12mm threads
604 run 14mm threads

i haven't played with wagons too much but i thought wagons would have the 14mm like the 604 bieng a heavier vehicle
i know in the days of 203/403/404 the wheels studs were always bigger than their sedan counterparts

in saying this though you can put 604 studs in 504 sedans and the other way around as well

So if they have the 14mm stud the 604 nuts will be fine then!

I guess I could use 604 stud's on it anyhow ?

Ben

Pug_405_Mi16:
So if they have the 14mm stud the 604 nuts will be fine then!

I guess I could use 604 stud's on it anyhow ?

Ben
yes
but be careful if you are going to put 12mm studs back on the 604 as insurance companies will go spare

That's true, the early 505 and probably all 504 studs will fit the 604 hubs.

But don't ever leave your wheels loose... as the 'rambo says, the insurance companies would go beserk.

As for the 14mm studs, what pitch are they, 'rambo? Probably 1.5mm? Do you think you can check the car in the backyard to be sure?

And no, the wagons are 12mm x 1.25mm too, same as the cars.

Dunlop mags off the 604 onto the 505 Wagon...I assume this is possible

Yes - its very possible. As this is exactly what I have done.
Dunlop mags originally came in both sizes (12mm & 14mm???) and had differnt wheel nuts to suit. I got a set of smaller Dunlop wheel nuts (perhaps off a 504) from a wrecker and did the following to my 604 mags:

I got a machinist to make me tube with the OD to fit the stud hole of the 604 dunlop (with a slight interference) and the ID to suit the 504/5 stud size, The tube was then cut into 16 spacers and these pushed into the stud holes with a mild loctite - just in case!

I have used these for many years without any problems at all. The Dunlop mags with the spacers run straight and true. I always check the spacers when I change &/or rotate wheels. And I always keep a close eye on any tyre fitters to make sure they dont dislodge the spacers. spanner

Dunlop mags are real quality items compared to the soft trx mags on the 505s.