505 handbrake

wouter

Fellow Frogger
One for the experts.
Can someone please give me a blow by blow explanation as to adjusting the handbrake on a 505.
Handbrake play for this year's rego inspection was too much. I asked service station to adjust. When I picked up the car the play was just about the same, but since they did it, it passed this time. :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Wouter

They're supposed to have alot of play! If you adjust all the play out the handbrake usually stops working. This is something unique to rear disc braked 504s and 505s.

Dave

Thanks for the replies, Nick & Dave. I've got the manual, but it's not all that usefull for the rear disc brakes handbrake. Will accept Dave's word and show his answer next year to the rego mechanic?

If you want to cite an external "authoritative" source Pedr Davis's great little book that reviewed second hand vehicles in the 1970's suggested that one of things to watch out for when buying a 504 was overtightened handbrake cables, because of the potential for caliper failure. I'll dig out the full reference when I get a chance, but essentially it bears out Dave's point in full.

Cheers

Rod