505 GTI

Pug_405_Mi16

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
All,

Just picked up another car today, this one for Dad *well me as well then*.

Series 2 505 GTI Manual....really nice car...just needs the paintwork fixed and a few other minor things...

I have one or 2 questions though !

1. The 1986 GTI should be fine on just Unleaded I would have thought ? I have been getting mixed advice down here
2. Can the odometers be repaired ? it is just rolling the 100,000kms around with the 1kms sooo I can do 500,000kms just going down the road LOL.
3. Has anyone here wrecked a series 2 505 ? I'm after a few other little things if anyone has stuff could you let me know !

Anyhow all I can say is it's a really impressive car...the Series 2 is a really nice car ! feels a lot more modern then the old series 1 GR I am doing up with the hot motor !

Cheers

Ben

I should be set for ULP, as it became standard in 1986 didn't it? Either way, it'll probably thank you if it is run on a higher octane petrol like Optimax.

You're very lucky to get a S2 GTI with a manual!!! I want one so much but there aren't many around in Melbourne. I think in a few years I'll replace my GR with one though, even if I have to do a manual conversion.

I suppose its very different to drive to the GR? Does anyone know if the S2 GTi is in anyway different to a S1 GTi to drive?

My '85 S1 GTi (ZDJL) has always been run on ULP. NNowdays i run it on Optimax,and it runs far better, particularily when cold.

And of course, any vehicle sold after 1 jan, 1986 must by law be Unleaded as nJm said...

The Jaeger odometer/speedometers in the 505s (the Series Is at least, I've never even been in a Series II) are pretty cruddy and don't tend to last the distance.

My dad's 505 at one point had a speedo which flipped from 0 km/h to 180 km/h every few seconds with a loud clicking noise, and the odometer jumped forwards and backwards by relatively random amounts... That car has had 3 speedos for ~600,000km.

You should be able to get a used speedo from someone on the board, or a wrecker, or you might even be able to afford a new one... (Actually I have a spare one in a Series I GR, but they probably don't match.)

<small>[ 27 July 2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

I think you'll find it was 1 July 1986, but all S2 were designed for ULP anyway.

nJm
[QB]
You're very lucky to get a S2 GTI with a manual!!! I want one so much but there aren't many around in Melbourne. I think in a few years I'll replace my GR with one though, even if I have to do a manual conversion.

QB]
The unleaded series 2 GTI has slightly less power and torque than the leaded GTI, because it has lower compression and a milder cam. The first series 2 GTI's in Australia used leaded fuel because they imported a whole ship load of them in late 1985 and complianced them all in December 1985, just before the unleaded cut-off date, although many were not sold for another 6 months or so. These are the figures for Australia spec 505 GTI's:

leaded (Series 1 and 12/85 Series 2):
94kW at 5750rpm
189Nm at 4250rpm
(but these figures may be optimistic because they don't feel as powerful as that)

Unleaded:
87kW at 5000rpm
177 at 3500 rpm

The European spec leaded 505 GTI had:
130hp at 5750rpm
194Nm at 4250rpm

Personally I'd prefer a hot 2 litre pushrod 505, because it took 12 hours on thursday for 3 of us to remove the 2.2 litre engine from my STI, whereas I can remove the pushrod engine by myself in about an hour.

Dave

Regardless of the type of motor, "unleaded" or "leaded", all OHC 505 engines are OK to run on ULP as they all have hard exhaust seats.
Of course, the "unleaded" versions have a catalytic converter.

Graham Wallis

It's an LRP car....well from the size if the filler hole anyhow !

No biggy seems to run fine on ULP !

Ben

Re the 505 GTI S2 story.

I can confirm the apparent anomaly of early 1986 models being either leaded or ULP versions. My 1986 S2 is a leaded version, with a 1986 compliance plate. However, the build date is (from memory)12/85.

I can also confirm that quality fuel such as Optimax, Ampol Gold or BP Ultimate provides much smoother running, improved starting characteristics and better top end power. I always include a dose of Flashlube per tank, although possibly not absolutely necessary. These observations also apply to my wife's 84 505 STI Executive.

A manual 505 GTI S2 is not common, and even less so once the 4 speed ZF auto transmission arrived. Whilst high speed highway cruising is effortless, it would be nice to see 3,700 for 120 km/hr reduce by a few hundred RPM, which occurs with the 4 speed ZF. The 5 speed manual figures seem to remain the same as that of cars with the 3 speed ZF.

Yes, the S1 speedos seemed to have identical problems re the oddometer, but I know our local instrument repair shop has the solution during the repair. Apparently a not uncommon problem with some Fords and Commodores also.

I have not heard (until now) of S2 speedos having the same problem. As I have only travelled 141,000 km, I am hoping it will not be an issue for a while.

Cheers,
Kim.

so i take that means we did get the 4 spd autos out here ?
sorry for ignorance here but 505's especially the later ones never really been something that i have taken a lot of notice of

Cheers all,

I tell you what the GTI is a really nice car....

I am looking foward to getting my teeth into it asap...CD player...general tidy up...get the paint fixed... head_ban

Then I will post some piccy's :D

Cheers

Ben mallet

Re the 505 speedo; why not fix it yourself?

Here is the url, on how to do it:

<a href="http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/rt-Rhoades-Speedo1.asp" target="_blank">http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/rt-Rhoades-Speedo1.asp</a>

(I think someone on the American,Peugeot-L group found it).

con...

Re the 505 GTI,
Yes, we did have the 4 speed ZF version of the GTI in Australia. I have driven (but not owned) a couple of these versions, and the effect of the 4th speed is quite noticeable. I believe the 1987 and on versions (in sedan) were fitted with this transmission.

First gear is lower than the 3 speed ZF (sorry, I do not have the ratios to hand), whilst 4th gear comes in above 80 km/hr (or higher if power is being used). From memory, the difference in RPM at cruise speeds is at least 800, as it is a direct drive (lock-up type).

The ratios are probably better suited to the unleaded engine, with the revised torque curve, as the leaded engines (as already posted) need a higher RPM to achieve their power and torque.

I will add a photo of my car to the members gallery, when I find out how to do it.

Cheers,
Kim.

Kim,
No rocket science to getting pictures of your car in the members gallery, just email pic/pics with any info about the car to gibgib@aussiefrogs.com look forward to seeing the pics wink

Cheers
Chris

Chris,
Thanks for info re posting pictures into the members gallery. Will send to gibgib this weekend.

Cheers,
Kim.

Our S2 GTi must also have been from that shipment. Compliance 1/86 Build date 10/85. 5 speed manual, LRP.

Since the change to LRP, the float in the fuel tank send unit decided to become a "sink" and sat lazily on the bottom of the tank - recently changed to new plastic replacement.

I've had 3 other Pugs & an Alpha 33 in past lives & I saw this one for sale when my wife's ageing commodore was dying, I convinced her that it was time to get some quality into her driving experience. We bought the car 2 years ago with 90,000 kms on it! The back seat looked as though it had never been sat on. Was originally a Dalhold investments company car (that's right, one of our good friend Alan Bond's lady execs drove it for most of it's early life) and apparently only ever went from her house to the Perth Airport garage.

I had a company car until a couple of months ago, since then I've been driving the GTi a lot more and have done quite a bit of work on it - little problems I didn't realize were there until I got behind the wheel. It's now performing like new & more I drive it the deeper my infatuation becomes.

If manual 505 GTi's are rarely seen for sale, I would suggest that this is because people can't bring themselves to sell them. The comfort, performance, handling & reliability of these cars makes them one of the best all-round family vehicles you could find in my humble opinion.

The Pirelli P500's that were on it when we bought it were just about shot so I did some shopping around this week. The spare is still the original Michelin that was on it when new. I don't know whether I've done the wrong thing or not - does anyone know much about these Ex Japan 2nd hand/new imports that come into Australia? Apparently all Japanese cars must be fitted with snow tyres during winter, the normal tyres that are taken off are punctured with a pinhole to ensure that they can't be resold as new. These are then exported, repaired & sold as 2nd hand. I picked up a set of Dunlop Sport 300E 195/60/15's for $89 each fitted - $316 for the lot when the dealer's cost price for these tyres new is $270 each!
They feel great on the road but there must be a downside to the deal somewhere. Can someone reassure me that they aren't all going to blow out the first time they hit 140km/hr.
I've become such a fan that I just have to post a picture in the members gallery - my wife calls her Princess Peugeot.

Cheers
Nige R

My old man bought a set of michy's for his volvo (shall not mention the V word again!) from the same crew you would have bought your dunlops from for about $50 - $60 each. They've been on the car for at least two years with no major drama's. His only complaint was the noise - but that's just something I reckon comes with the territory when you buy set of michelins. Would be keen to hear your thoughts on your new tyres in the weeks to come - I've got a set of 15's I want to put on my car, but the $800 price tag for the set of michy's I want has slowed the process down a little...

No complaints with the Dunlops so far - done nearly 1,000 kms & they seem great. Handle well & very quiet. I think you have to be fairly lucky to pick up a full set from these guys - lots of pairs but not many full sets. They had 3 Pirelli P6000's there when I was shopping & would have done them for the same price, nearly worth buying the fourth one @ full price to make up the set.

Will really put them to the test next month when we drive to Tassie for a few weeks - I'll let you know what I think after a little cold weather driving.

Cheers
Nige