505 GTI fitting ba7/4

davonz

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a 505 GTI that has been sitting for over a decade, and I am trying to get it back on the road (If anybody is interested I can add some pictures of the car later.). Unfortunately, the original BA10/5 transmission is nowhere to be seen. However, the car did come with a BA7/4 taken from a 504 which I would like to install as a substitute (unfortunately there are no BA10/5s or BA7/5s for sale that I can find).

From what I can gather, the replacement clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for the GTI should all be the same as intended for BA7/4 equipped cars, and the BA7/4 bell housing should bolt right up to the 2.2 GTI engine. Can anybody confirm this is correct? If so, what issues am I likely to encounter making everything work together? From part diagrams I believe I will need a new clutch fork, long gearshift linkage, and possibly a few other items (speedo cable, maybe clutch slave cylinder?) as the clutch release mechanism looks to be a different design.

Any comments or insights are highly appreciated! It is so hard to find info on these cars.

David

Last edited:
On second look it appears the bell housing that came with the BA7/4 a different design to the ZDJ engine :( Any ideas as to how I can remedy the situation?

WE never got the BA10/5 with our GTis. BA7/5 was the one fitted. BA7/4 will most likely be from a push rod engine car and different bell housing to the OHC engine.

I’ve have had 3 manual 505’s with the 2.2l motor 1-sti and 2- gti’s they all had a ba7/5 gearbox. the ba7/4 bell housing and input shaft is different if it from a push rod motor so I think you will need a ba7/5 to get you out of trouble.

I’ve have had 3 manual 505’s with the 2.2l motor 1-sti and 2- gti’s they all had a ba7/5 gearbox. the ba7/4 bell housing and input shaft is different if it from a push rod motor so I think you will need a ba7/5 to get you out of trouble.
Thanks for the reply, and good to know about the BA7/5. I've found a series 1 2.2 STI 5spd wreck in Tasmania, hopefully I can convince the owner to remove the trans for sea freight to NZ. It will be expensive, but I also got the car for free. You win some you lose some.

Just to confirm - do you know of any differences between the STI and GTI besides injection method? Will the transmission and bell housing between the S1 and S2 be identical? I hear the BA7/5 shifts nicely compared to the BA10/5 so fingers crossed it will be a good drive in the end!

Yeah, they shifted more smoothly, though I have driven some BA 10s that felt just fine. The problem with BA 7/5s is that they had a weak point.....the needle roller bearing. It used to collapse....possibly due to low oil. Those gearboxes had a tendency to leak oil, though if you keep an eye on the level while you are doing an engine oil change, there is no problem..
Some more knowledgeable people here will know which one. I think it's the one on the 5th gear.

Yeah, they shifted more smoothly, though I have driven some BA 10s that felt just fine. The problem with BA 7/5s is that they had a weak point.....the needle roller bearing. It used to collapse....possibly due to low oil. Those gearboxes had a tendency to leak oil, though if you keep an eye on the level while you are doing an engine oil change, there is no problem..
Some more knowledgeable people here will know which one. I think it's the one on the 5th gear.
Just bought a 505 GR with BA10, works fine, glad I could drive the car, wouldn't have bought it if I had to trust that the gearbox was OK. Actually shifts better than the BA7 in my SR.