505 Bell Housing change?

Jason Morris

Fellow Frogger
Hi all. Well, what a choice to make....replacing the XN1A in my '89 505 wagon, I can get an ex GTi 2.2OHC in great condition with all the works (ECU, elec pump/filter) for NZ$400, OR I am 'allowed' to consider the V6 (plentiful supply, eg entire Volvo 264 for NZ$200).

Either way, has anyone ever tried changing the bell housing on the 4HP22 box - can it be done without the internals falling out!? I'll need to find a dead auto box as a donor, will a 3HP22 housing fit ?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

I don't know much about the auto box, but as for the 2.2 OHC, I'd say stay clear of it. Don't get me wrong, the 2.2 is a good engine and it goes well, BUT they are real BASTARDS to work on! The starter motor and dizzy are particularly poorly placed.

The V6, while not as easy to work on as the XN1 type motors, is easier than the 2.2, and you get an extra half a litre or more of capacity for your troubles.

Dave

Regarding the 2.2 OHC 505; If they weren't such a mess under the bonnet, my opinion might be different. They could be improved alot by removing most of the hoses, etc, fitting a distributorless ignition, etc, which I'd like to try one day, but poor positioning of the starter motor really turns me off any engine.

Usually if a starter motor is hard to access from the top, you can access it from the bottom (like the V6), but the OHC starter is hard to access from both the top and the bottom, which means when you get stuck with starter problems, you're really stuck.

Dave