505 automatic shift knob replacement HELP

ozzster314

Fellow Frogger
Hey all,

I have a quick question, i have a 1987 peugeot 505 sti and my shift knob has totally fallen apart(the coating at lest) so id like to replace it. ive found several that will work but heres the question. How do i take it off. Its the rectangular one with the side push button, and ive heard from some people to pull it off with alot of force but i figured id ask you guys first. Thanks again

ozzster314 said:
Hey all,

I have a quick question, i have a 1987 peugeot 505 sti and my shift knob has totally fallen apart(the coating at lest) so id like to replace it. ive found several that will work but heres the question. How do i take it off. Its the rectangular one with the side push button, and ive heard from some people to pull it off with alot of force but i figured id ask you guys first. Thanks again

Hi, I replaced mine on my 505 gti '89 2 years ago with a genuine one from p504 services. From memory there is a grub screw on the side of the shift lever, then the whole thing slides of a metal shaft that runs down into the gearbox. I can remember where the grub screw is exactly though!!

ozzster314 said:
Hey all,

be careful when you take it off
they come off easily when the grub screw is removed but the reason i say be careful is you may need to put it back on if you have bought an aftermarket one
my missus thought she would get a nice looking one from some place once for the blue 604 we have/had and when we went to fit it it went on alright but the lockout botton to prevent kicking reverse from neutral accidently type thing wouldn't work
no matter what i did without totally remaking this thing could we get it to actuate the lockout so the lever would stay in park
you need a lever with the lift up handle on them not the button type that are commonly sold