504 wagon project

DJB504

Tadpole
Tadpole
I am again the proud owner of a 504 wagon (familial/breaker)
2L
5 speed! (From a 604)
Approximately 370K
I love it!

It’s old & been well loved and well used.
Engine bay is ok. Mechanically seems good (all relative). Accelerator cable has been replaced & is out in the middle of nowhere. Radiator is good. Weber carby is strong. Cables & components look like they need refreshment. I’m no mechanic but am learning & keen.

I want to replace air filter with a Ram Flo. Anyone done this before? Is it easy enough to do? I saw the guy on ‘Flip My Ride’ do it successfully. He also modified the jet set up.

Interior is in need of some tlc. I have stripped it & had a quote for reupholstery of seats & door cards. Not sure if it’s feasible. Nearly 1K per seat (x6). I might just settle for some nice seat covers. Any suggestions?

Same with carpets. I’m not sure whether to renew throughout or rejuvenate what I have. I’m happy to put in whatever effort but am very budget conscious. Open to suggestions.

Door cards have deteriorated. I want to rejuvenate them without spending a fortune. They’re basically beyond it but I’m going to salvage them as best I can. Replicating them is just too expensive. Anyone know of any ‘door kits’ available? Apparently they’re a thing.

Body is good. A few (several) areas of surface rust but nothing too dramatic. I plan to wire brush & touch up most of it.

I have degreased & flushed out interior, wheel arches & engine bay (minor). Still want to get to under carriage etc.

Any suggestions on best mechanics in South Australia?

What do you do when trying to restore a car like this?

Thanks in advance. 🙏

wonderful machines 504 wagons ,
i have a pair of brown cloth front seats , late door cards , good plastic liner for rear cargo area near canberra,
pm me