504 vs hoist

tonch504

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

When lifting a 504 on a 2-post hoist, where should I lift? The rear pickup points are easy, it’s where the jack would go, under the crossmember mount. But what about at the front? Do I lift under the chassis rails or under the bodywork sill?
Advice appreciated.

Provided they are in good condition and not rusty the chassis members are fine I lift mine that way.
The lifting arms on a two post hoist will not reach the engine cross member let alone the radiator
cross member.
Chris.

Make sure you do get the chassis member and not just the sill, and that the load is nicely spread on each point.

Use my two post hoist all the time for 203,403,404,504. Long chassis rail 300mm in from sill is the place BUT BE SURE TO USE A WOOD BLOCK WIDER THAN RAIL SECTION OR THE HOIST HEADS CAN DENT THE SECTION.

I went with this solution, based on all your advice. Works quite well.
860c70bba73c97899178a92980a78393.png

That is a nice looking hoist. Does it restrict access to the car much :confused:

Not a great deal.
While I’m confident with the quality, I’m still uneasy about getting under the car, so working on some kind of additional props for peace of mind.

Not a great deal.
While I’m confident with the quality, I’m still uneasy about getting under the car, so working on some kind of additional props for peace of mind.

Strong, additional support is a good idea. We only get one spine, head whatever.

Just keep in mind that the chassis rails on 504s and 505s are quite soft. They are designed to fold up in an accident.
I've seen so many that were pushed up by jacking.

Not a great deal.

Thanks! I'd love to get a hoist oneday (when I have spare money .... So that will be when pigs fly :roflmao: ). Its a pity 4posters with belly lift are always so expensive :)

I would never take the weight of the Peugeot on its buttress panels, they will collapse easily, water will be retained and rust will occur.
A piss weak part of Peugeot's design at the best of time.
With a two post hoist I've always used soft wooden blocks with grooves to accommodate the edge of the outer sills.

I think the best option for these cars is a sort of "tunnel" under the car so that the wheels would be carrying the weight not the chassis.

boringtunnel.png

I think the best option for these cars is a sort of "tunnel" under the car so that the wheels would be carrying the weight not the chassis.

boringtunnel.png

Like a pit ?

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

boringtunnel.png

They are called a 4post hoist :) .... Get one with belly lift and jacking beams if you can :dance:

My humble opinion. With my 504 using a scissor lift and large rubber blocks, about 200mm in length, I have lifted directly under the sills for years without damage.