504 ute

coxpod

Fellow Frogger
Can anyone give me any information regarding the existance or feasabilty of obtaining a 504 utility. I had a friend recently visit Kenya and apparently they were "everywhere".
Any information is greatly appreciated

Roland Pym of Roland Pym Vehicles in north western Sydney imports 504 utes, 504 coupes and 504 cabriolets as well as other unusual Peugeots. He reconditions the utes and sells them for around $15,000. So far he hasn't imported very many yet. I think his email address is:
rpvaustralia@bigpond.com.au

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by coxpod:
Can anyone give me any information regarding the existance or feasabilty of obtaining a 504 utility. I had a friend recently visit Kenya and apparently they were "everywhere".
Any information is greatly appreciated

Knowing the way Roland operates, they would be first class vehicles as supplied and at that price they are a first class bargain.

A most useful vehicle too, I would say. Saw quite a number when I was in France in '81.

David,

Can u tell me more about the 504 cabrio
I heard that they only came out in LHD
That there was only a few produced in RHD in England
As you posted above they do exist in Australia
How much are they worth here
Are they converted to rhd
Or are they driven with a Lhd registration
I think they are a beautiful car but they cost a lot to buy
I once thought of importing a rusty example but the idea fell through when i thought about the availability of parts.

Murat

Murat,

There are only a small number of 504 cabrios and coupes in Australia. Many of them were imported by the above mentioned Roland Pym, and converted to RHD by him. I've heard that in fully restored condition they are worth around $40,000.

There was a good information and price guide on them in the April 2001 issue of the British magazine "Practical Classics". Apparently, in Britain, a top condition cabrio is worth about 9000 pounds and an equivalent coupe is about half that. According to the article, these are the prices for body parts:
early headlamp 70 pounds
sill 238 pounds
front guard 376 pounds
bonnet 721 pounds
door 738 pounds
windscreen 169 pounds

In other words, the body parts are very expensive, if you can find them. This is in stark contrast to 504 sedan body panels. I paid $210 (70 pounds?) fitted, for a new tinted windscreen for my 504 from Windscreens O'Brien, 2 years ago.

I've been told by Steve Guyett, who owns a coupe, that they handle really well and feel like they've got stiffer springs than the sedans. I think they could have similar spring rates to a 505 STI, but I doubt they'd be as stiff as a 505GTi (and most people wouldn't consider them stiff either). The coupes and cabrios also have a wider rear track than the sedans, although not as wide as the 505. They have a 100 inch wheelbase instead of the sedan's 108 inch wheelbase.

504 coupes and cabrios are also closer to the weight of a 505, than a 504, probably due to the heavy reinforced box sections which are needed to stop cabrios bending in the middle. The coupes share the same floor structure as the cabrio, so they are no lighter.

It's a pity they only ever made about 30,000 coupes and cabrios (compared to 3.7 million sedans, wagons and pick ups), because if they were a mass produced model, they'd be a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Dave

There's no doubt about what I would do if I had the money. I would have one, for sure.

The first one I saw on the road looked gorgeous, took away all my thoughts of needing a M-B 300SL immediately, no photos can do them justice.

I prefer the quad light version, both front and rear treatment.

Apart from body panels, all is normal stuff, but top of the range stuff... Fuel Injected engines, that sort of thing, though not all have five speeds.

The shorter wheelbase apparently makes them very responsive handlers.

Dave,

Thanks for the info
I thought they would be to expensive
They are a exotic looking car
I will be trying to get a ride in 505 GTI first chance i get as i am keen to sell my 205 when i put it together
I went for a ride in a FWD turbo car that is very powerfull but not much fun to drive because of the torque steer
And this was in a corrolla with equal length drive shafts
I think it would be much worse in a 205
I dont think i will ever buy a FWD again
Back to the Real cars for me.

Murat