504 Ti

Flippie

Tadpole
Tadpole
Good day,can someone perhaps give me some tips on to what to check if my coil keeps heating up on my 504 Ti I've had it in more then 4 places already but it keeps heating up thanks in advance

It's meant to get warm, but if it's getting too hot, maybe the first thing to make sure of is that it's the right sort of coil. A resistor coil will get pretty hot if it's run without a ballast resistor. Australian 504 TIs are fine with a 12V coil like a Bosch GT40,. Not sure if there was anything different in South African models.

Mounting it anywhere in the airstream (e.g. on the inner guard behind the LHS headlight) should be fine.

Have fun,

Rob.

The early 504 mounted the coil on the alternator bracket which transmitted the heat from the block so it over heated. Had one blow in heavy traffic. Sounded like the engine blowing.

Heating of the coil should be the same whether its a TI or carby. Having it mounted on the engine block it should get air from the fan.

Yes sorry it's getting hot hot then it cuts the car out I've replaced all the leads plugs points condenser wires placed the coil all over still does the same thing and I've replaced the coil new

It's meant to get warm, but if it's getting too hot, maybe the first thing to make sure of is that it's the right sort of coil. A resistor coil will get pretty hot if it's run without a ballast resistor. Australian 504 TIs are fine with a 12V coil like a Bosch GT40,. Not sure if there was anything different in South African models.

Mounting it anywhere in the airstream (e.g. on the inner guard behind the LHS headlight) should be fine.

Have fun,

Rob.
Check ballast resistor. Coil will probably have 12v at startup and then 7-8 volt when running

I'm suspicious that it's the wrong coil. If you turn the ignition on with a 12V coil and the points are closed, the coil will flow its maximum current and will warm up, but should still not get roasting hot even after several minutes. A resistor or HEI coil will get hot quickly under these circumstances.. With the engine running, the points are only closed for about 2/3 of the time so current won't heat the coil up so much.

Suggest you check with an ohmmeter across the + and - terminals if you can. I've just tried a couple of coils here: a GT40 (plain 12V) gives about 3.4 Ohms and a GT40R (resistor type) gives about 0.25 Ohms. HEI coil would give that sort of figure too. If yours does have a few Ohms of resistance then the coil is probably right. If so, I'd be looking at excessive points dwell and under-bonnet temperatures.

Have fun,

Rob.

I'm suspicious that it's the wrong coil. If you turn the ignition on with a 12V coil and the points are closed, the coil will flow its maximum current and will warm up, but should still not get roasting hot even after several minutes. A resistor or HEI coil will get hot quickly under these circumstances.. With the engine running, the points are only closed for about 2/3 of the time so current won't heat the coil up so much.

Suggest you check with an ohmmeter across the + and - terminals if you can. I've just tried a couple of coils here: a GT40 (plain 12V) gives about 3.4 Ohms and a GT40R (resistor type) gives about 0.25 Ohms. HEI coil would give that sort of figure too. If yours does have a few Ohms of resistance then the coil is probably right. If so, I'd be looking at excessive points dwell and under-bonnet temperatures.

Have fun,

Rob.
Thanks alot for the help I'll go test and see