504 seized brake drums

Nz504

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi

Working away at this project and trying to get the car rolling. Rear brake drums have seized… any tips on how to remove? I think shoes have rusted onto the drum also… used a hammer and tried two m8 bolts through the hole but still won’t yield…. Any advice welcome!

First thing would be to back off handbrake cable adjustment if you haven’t already.then brake adjusters backed off,I would spray plenty of rust neutraliser around adjusters and axle to drum flanges.I guess it’s a station wagon having rear drums,and your previous posts regarding spark plugs rules out being a diesel.bit of time and patience to lest anti rust spray to penetrate..jim

Need a tool to pull off

Attachments

• drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 65
Need a tool to pull off
A combination of using a puller and tapping around the outside of the drum will most likely get the drum off.

Leaving the puller on with some pressure on it overtime will also help, with tapping around the outside of the drum.

You will have to be patient, this may take quite some time to get the drum free.

Need a tool to pull off
A puller like that will not work as the drum goes over wheel studs which are fixed to axle flange,the legs of puller would have to go to outer edge of drum which may crack/damage drum if it is rusted to axle at mounting and too much pressure put on puller initially before rust is neutralised….jim

Oh well have to get the Bush Mechanics on this one

can you cut the pad retainers off at the back of the backing plate? Then it should all pull away

Need a tool to pull off
A combination of using a puller and tapping around the outside of the drum will most likely get the drum off.

Leaving the puller on with some pressure on it overtime will also help, with tapping around the outside of the drum.

You will have to be patient, this may take quite some time to get the drum free.
A puller like that will not work as the drum goes over wheel studs which are fixed to axle flange,the legs of puller would have to go to outer edge of drum which may crack/damage drum if it is rusted to axle at mounting and too much pressure put on puller initially before rust is neutralised….jim
Oh well have to get the Bush Mechanics on this one
I would still rig up some kind of puller but do not put to much pressure on it and tap around the outer of the brake drum.

I think you are more likely to destroy whats inside the drum than actually break the drum.

Like I said before you will need to be patient and do this over a few days, keeping pressure on the drum and heat changes over the day may help release the drum.

Isn’t there threads to put a bolts in to push drum out? Personally I’d get 504/505 hub disc with calipers and change. Drums are a nightmare. More to go wrong.
Unless it’s a wagon.