504 intermittent wipers

peujohn

pur-john, not pew-john!
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
My 1980 504 has intermittent wipers but they don't work. The previous owner told me that there is a unit under the dash that needs replacing. I'm wrecking another 1980 504 and have found a couple of black plastic gizmos under the dash, but I'm not sure which one is for the wipers. One says "MIXO" on it, another says "Cartier - Temorisateur". Is one of these the one? I can't find the answer in the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.

John

davemcbean:
peujohn:
Dave? Ray?
Sorry John, I've never had a 504 with intermittent wipes. Must be a 1980 onwards thing. If so, Ray may know about them, since his wagon is an 82 or 83 model.

Dave
Yes, I had a '79 504 with these. It appeared to me to be an after-market kind of thing. The timing was set by a knob added under the dash on the right side of the wheel (a bit like some after-market air-con units). Not sure if this was the actual timer, or if it was just a switch which sent a signal to a timer unit in the dash itself, however.

Sorry Peujohn! Looks like you're on your own. (I do think the temporiseur thingy is the indicator unit, however. You can always check by pulling it out and seeing what doesn't work any more, if anything.) :)

Regards,
John Lane.

I have the original handbook for a 1980 504. There is a "Screen Wiper Timer Relay" and a "Screen Wiper Relay" side-by-side on the wiring diagrams. The timer relay has 4 wires connected to 3 points (2 are joined) and the wiper relay has 6 wires connected to 5 points (2 are joined) plus an earth. They are attached to the harness that leads from the lights/wiper switch to the wiper motor. The timer relay sounds like the one you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

<small>[ 12 September 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: sfrawley ]</small>