504 Headlights

Shobbz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Today I decided to move my alternator, back to where its supposed to be, on the top of the engine, where my aircon compressor was. Well that was enjoyable.

After all this was done my front right headlight decided to die. It works on high beam just not low. After much fiddling with alternate wirings to the other lights etc, checking of contacts no go.

I am assuming that the low beam fiiliment is burnt out?

I have done all most everything else that i can think of, assuming that this must be the case?

Am I on the right track here?

thanks

shobbz

If it is only on one side try switching the headlights around. If it is a burned out filament the problem will follow to the other side of the car. If it is a wiring problem it will stay on the same side.

I have wired the lights the other way, so I think that it is the filament.

Looks like I am up for a new light:(.

shobbz

I can just buy a new light?

Expensive?

Will both light be the same brightness, with the age difference?

thanks

shobbbz

You may as well replace both globes as if one has died now the other will follow shortly.

Do you have the european lights (similar to the 505's large units) or the Aussie twin lights? If you have the euro ones and it uses the H4 standard get your self some Narva 55/60w 50%+ globes. They only cost $25 for the pair, provide a much whiter light and definately improve the actual performance of the lights too.

I have the twin ones? Ie 4 seperate lights? So I guess I have the twin aussie lights?

carfront.JPG

Is this what you mean?

Could this be an excuse to get halogen or something similar. I really like the lights on the newer BMW's. A dream for another time perhaps.

Perhaps the super cheap cheapies are the way. I think that I might replace Both at the same time, purely for asthetic effect if they are cheap enough.

thanks

shobbz

I do:)

I want them to look the same. If its only $30 to have two nice lights than so be it. Just looks like someone cares and also keeps the boys in blue off my back.

Might head to repco tonight and see what they have in stock.

The boys in blue have been pulling over a lot of people I know for random inspections and RBT's. They seem to be doing a raid on my general area especially us youngsters:). Don't like donating to their cause at the best of times. Haven't yet and don't intend to:).

My rant for the day:)

shobbz

Got a sealed unit from Repco for $14 this arvo, works well:)

Was tempted to go to halogen, but i really don't need it:)

Any tips on setting the angle of the lights up correctly. The one that I replaced is a bitt off. I have aligned it back up to where I think it was.

Is there a prefered pattern that the light should be thrown in?

thanks

shobbz