504 conversion from Auto to manual

Cookiemonster

Tadpole
I have the opportunity to get a mechanically good (rusty) complete 2L Manual. As I love my t.i. but don't love that fact it's an Auto (while it's the lovely ZF version) I am thinking on converting it over.
Has anyone done this? How hard is it? Is it worth it?

If your car is an LTI I'd keep it as auto, Cant beat the LTI, personally my favourite
Conversion basically straight forth obviously need pedal box master, slave all the lines,
Take it all off in one piece so you don't have to bleed the clutch at all,

Obviously fit a new clutch kit in. Or hunt for a ba7/5speed they bolt straight in.
Cheers BP

Also need to fit the flywheel from the manual, fit a bush to end of the crank and gear lever parts from the manual centre console.

Although I've never owned an LTi, I've owned 504 autos and I found them to be "slugomatics". I much prefer a manual 504, whether it be a Ti or a carby. If you can arrange it, try and find someone who will let you take their manual Ti for a drive to compare.

Also need to fit the flywheel from the manual, fit a bush to end of the crank and gear lever parts from the manual centre console.

Although I've never owned an LTi, I've owned 504 autos and I found them to be "slugomatics". I much prefer a manual 504, whether it be a Ti or a carby. If you can arrange it, try and find someone who will let you take their manual Ti for a drive to compare.
Yes of course flywheel and the spigot bush,
A 504 with a sunroof is the best, Tis go well auto or manual.

If the manual trans you have is 4 speed and you know its good just use it and dont bother about a 5 speed and have problems with speedo drives etc .

If your car is an LTI I'd keep it as auto, Cant beat the LTI, personally my favourite
Conversion basically straight forth obviously need pedal box master, slave all the lines,
Take it all off in one piece so you don't have to bleed the clutch at all,

Obviously fit a new clutch kit in. Or hunt for a ba7/5speed they bolt straight in.
Cheers BP
The name LTI was only used in Aus for TI auto with sunroof.and tinted windows.

If the manual trans you have is 4 speed and you know its good just use it and dont bother about a 5 speed and have problems with speedo drives etc .
4 speed is a much nicer gearbox than the 5. I have just changed from a 504 wagon to a 505 SR and not liking the gearbox at all.

With a 5 speed box, would you need a longer torque tube?

4 speed is a much nicer gearbox than the 5. I have just changed from a 504 wagon to a 505 SR and not liking the gearbox at all.

Just out of interest, is it a BA7 or BA10 ? And what is it doing or not doing ? If it's stiff, would a bit of teflon additive help ?

Just out of interest, is it a BA7 or BA10 ? And what is it doing or not doing ? If it's stiff, would a bit of teflon additive help ?
BA7, using Penrite transaxle oil which improved things a bit, Long throws and seems to be play although have replaced the linkages. The BA7 4 in the wagon was a delight although a bit noisy in 2nd. 505 is clunky too which will be the driveshaft splines, so probably a lot more pleasant when I put in the new LSD diff and probably the spare tailshaft as well.

I wouldn't fiddle with the LTi, but if you must, there's a lot of fiddling around and the auto doesn't have the brackets on the torque tube to take the manual gear linkages. The pedal box is the same, but the pedals are not. There will be a grey plastic plug in the auto pedal box where the clutch master cylinder goes, fit pedals etc. while the engine is out, or it will drive you mad.

If it is a French car it will have the same transmission tunnel as the manual. The Australian autos used a Borg Warner 35 and had a locally made large transmission tunnel. If the manual donor car is a carbie it will have the speedo drive for a 3.89 diff, where the fuel injected car will have a 3.77 so you'll need the correct speedometer gear.

My understanding LTI was specifically an Australian top spec parts bin 504 TI; the rest of the world got the 504 TI that could be specced up.

Would you please have a picture of the speedo drive ?
I understand that it is something that gives the speedo its reading
But I can't imagine how it looks like or where it is fitted.

If the manual donor car is a carbie it will have the speedo drive for a 3.89 diff, where the fuel injected car will have a 3.77 so you'll need the correct speedometer gear.

It's fitted in the gearbox, just inside where the speedo cable goes in. Similar to this one in the photo.

Often they leak oil from that area, so you need to replace the large O-ring.

drive 2.jpg

Last edited: