504 brake rebuild

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
The brakes on my 504 have been getting worse over the last few years. Front pistons were sticking which would give the occasional soft pedal feel and the hand brake hardly worked. I sourced all parts from Des Franzose albeit the rear pistons which I was lucky to score a good second hand set that still had the splines in tack. So I finally pulled all the calipers off and gave them a clean up with new seals and pistons. Discs are currently at the brake place getting a light skim. They are still the original discs! New front teflon lined brake hoses have been made to suit. Standard rubber brake hoses for the rear. I changed the brake compensator and master cylinder a few years ago, so not touching that. All the brake hard line and master cylinder have been cleaned out of old fluid. (which did not resemble brake fluid). New pads all round ready to go in.

I have no records of the calipers being rebuild in the time of owning the car (since 1983)....which makes sense given the state of the seals.

I discovered that I have a stuffed front wheel bearing (pitting in the race) so will now have to order a bearing kit...and wait.

IMG_3479.jpg
IMG_3481.jpg
IMG_3482.jpg
504 brake parts.jpg
IMG_3484.jpg
IMG_3486.jpg

A bit of work, but well worth the effort. I'm a bit surprised that then pistons are still available.

All part of the fun in caring for a classic. Well done!

Der Franzose has all the parts, but freight times can be 4 - 6 weeks. Long time to have car off the road. Unfortunately, my local supplier (Lewin - PeugeotSpares) is no longer running a full-time business.

This is the cause of the bearing noise. Interestingly, the pitting is on exactly half of the mating surface. Some of the chrome balls had lost their shine as well. Warranty claim? :ROFLMAO:

bearing cup.jpg

Thanks heaps Graham

The kit is from Sasic and is part number 7483013QN. Contained in the kit are the two bearings (Sasic Part no's 9943 and 7304.A1) plus a new seal, hub nut and a o'ring for the grease cap. If you only have the bearings, that is great. I can easily reuse the hub nut and seals again as they are still in good condition.

Same as this: https://www.franzose.de/en/Peugeot/504-604/wheel-bearings/ANR73342/

IMG_3492.jpg

Last edited:
No need to look Graham, I’ve located a set close by.

Thanks for helping out.

Bit of an update after collecting more parts (wheel bearing kits and copper washers for the new brake hoses) Brakes are now complete - just need to bleed the entire system now. The 52 year old discs came up well after a light machining. I'm not overly happy with the look of the brake warning wire, so will do some more work on that to make it look a bit neater.

Looking forward to a road test - hopefully on the weekend.

IMG_3521.jpg

Looks good. I reckon you'll notice a big difference.

After two weeks on jack stands, I’m back on the road. Taken two brake bleed sessions, but I’m happy with pedal feel now. Also, after as long as I can remember, a functioning handbrake!!!! That is the most satisfying part me thinks.
Happy days, good to be driving it again.

Whilst car was out of action, I finally upgraded the stereo to Bluetooth. It’s much cheaper then paying the fine.
IMG_3527.jpg

Back in the old days, when my 504 had a non working hand brake, I used to store a house brick in the boot which could be employed as a wheel chock, when necessary.