504/505 spark plug connectors

Doush_504

Fellow Frogger
G'day

Could anyone explain please the difference (if there is any) between these 2 connectors ?

1615111978535.png

the one on the left needs an insulation tube droped over it once the plugs are in .
The set on the right is insulated and only needs the top cover, that must cover the exposed metal at the top before fitting a plug lead with

I've seen, and had both types on 504s I've owned, as well as the spring types. The spring types come in two forms - a longer one plus a shorter one with an inline suppressor resistor. There is also a fifth version similar to the one on the right except that it has a thinner, moveable, black plastic sleeve.

As far as I'm aware, these later types do not require anything else to insulate them from the metal spark plug tubes, including the bare metal type. Unlike the spring type which will be reasonably close to the spark plug tube, the later type are a fair distance from the tube and would need a very big zap to arc across to the metal tube.

the one on the left needs an insulation tube droped over it once the plugs are in .
The set on the right is insulated and only needs the top cover, that must cover the exposed metal at the top before fitting a plug lead with
Is the insulation tube something generic or is it a specific Peugeot part ?

I've seen, and had both types on 504s I've owned, as well as the spring types. The spring types come in two forms - a longer one plus a shorter one with an inline suppressor resistor. There is also a fifth version similar to the one on the right except that it has a thinner, moveable, black plastic sleeve.

As far as I'm aware, these later types do not require anything else to insulate them from the metal spark plug tubes, including the bare metal type. Unlike the spring type which will be reasonably close to the spark plug tube, the later type are a fair distance from the tube and would need a very big zap to arc across to the metal tube.
Would that mean that I can use the one on the left (bare metal) as is ?
I would prefer that as the one on the right is chinese.

I presume so. My 1980 504 had the bare metal ones and ran okay. Any other opinions?

I had a PDF file containing all 505 part numbers (downloaded from AF most probably) which I lost in an unfortunate hard disk accident.
Wish I could look up the part number
I presume so. My 1980 504 had the bare metal ones and ran okay. Any other opinions?

For what it's worth, the one with the black plastic insulator tube is part number 5963.03

If the 'proper' insulation tube is hard to find a rummage amongst the grey or orange pipe / conduit in the green shed plus some work with a hacksaw might yield results? - you want a size that will just fit down the cylinder head tubes but allows a bit of 'wriggle room' internally.
Regards,
Rob

^ I tried that once. It works for a while but is not heat resistant enough to last a long time, whereas Bakelite is.

Doush....don't even think about using rubber tubing. I did, and then found out that the carbon black in rubber conducts high tension electricity very well.

^ I tried that once. It works for a while but is not heat resistant enough to last a long time, whereas Bakelite is.

Doush....don't even think about using rubber tubing. I did, and then found out that the carbon black in rubber conducts high tension electricity very well.
Thanks for the advice
Makes perfect sense
That is why I was wondering if it was a Peugeot specific part (which I should have bought alongside the connectors) or something generic or not needed at all since electricity would only have one way to travel which is towards the spark plug ground electrode.

That's interesting. Although I've had 504s with part number 3 in the picture, I've never had part 4. Maybe they often get lost or discarded over the years when changing spark plugs.

Check out Toyota spark plug leads, same design with insulated tube to plug
Toyota Readily available in Autobarn, just get the correct length you need
Or
Just use standard plug lead, attach to plug and use hollow tube plug spanner to tighten.
Silicon plug to hold lead central and keep out rubbish.

My 1972 504 originally had the bakerlite insulating tubes as per item 5 in the parts drawing above. When I upgraded to the series 1 505 square port head, I changed over to the insulators as per the 4 in the packet in your original photo. I believed these to be series 505 insulators. I've never seen to the bare steel rod set up before. Maybe it was a European thing.

Changing to the early 505 insulators has made a big difference to the performance. I did this over two years ago and the engine has not faulted since (touch wood!!!!)