407 v6 Starter Motor

The Fixer

Fellow Frogger
When I start the car the starter motor sound like it has not disengaged from the flywheel. i have replaced the starter with a used one, same result, bit the bullet and bought a new stater, still the same.
I have been told that the flywheel may be loose and causing the noise.
Has anyone had the same problem? what was the fix? if any.
I don't want to have take the gearbox out if not needed.
I should say that when I replaced the starter, I tried to move the flywheel but it seemed to be alright.

What the hell do you mean that when you start the car it sounds that the starter motor has not disengaged?
A starter motor not disengaging and driven by the car's engine would be stuffed up in no time.
Have you stuffed up 3 starter motors?
John

I had this happen years ago with a new valeo starter on a citroen bx. turns out they had "upgraded" a part of the throwout assembly to a plastic part that had failed on the first use. the only way to stop it was jump out and pull the battery terminal off.

To rule out all the wiring, just unplug the solenoid on the starter, and jump a 12volt wire to it straight from the battery. If the starter engages and disengages correctly, you have a wiring/switch issue.

second that ,check the simple things first !

What the hell do you mean that when you start the car it sounds that the starter motor has not disengaged?
A starter motor not disengaging and driven by the car's engine would be stuffed up in no time.
Have you stuffed up 3 starter motors?
John
No i have notb stuffed up 3 starter motors, it sounds "LIKE" thre starter has not disengage.

I had this happen years ago with a new valeo starter on a citroen bx. turns out they had "upgraded" a part of the throwout assembly to a plastic part that had failed on the first use. the only way to stop it was jump out and pull the battery terminal off.

To rule out all the wiring, just unplug the solenoid on the starter, and jump a 12volt wire to it straight from the battery. If the starter engages and disengages correctly, you have a wiring/switch issue.
Thanks for the input, I will try that and see how it goes.
Cheers

No i have notb stuffed up 3 starter motors, it sounds "LIKE" thre starter has not disengage.
So, upon starting engine fires and upon release of the start function on the ignition switch, the solenoid is still live and does not retract.
By pass the ignition switch and power up the solenoid direct with 12Vs and it would be obvious if its ok. Upon powering up it is magnetized and the starter gear is thrown onto the flywheel. Remove power and it must retract, unless:
1. Solenoid spring is stuffed or,
2. Solenoid seazes upon it being energized.
3. If all okay, as others have stated stated it is the ignition switch - upon release of "start" on ignition switch, it does not release, the solenoid is kept energised.
And whilst the flywheel drive unit is "thrown" by the solenoid to engage and turn motor over, there is a oneway drive mechanism to ensure that upon starting, the starter motor is not driven by the motor it just started.
There is a limit of how long that clutch arrangement would survive being driven by the motor. Hence, the statement, have you stuffed up 3 starter motors.
John
PS: I cannot see it jamming onto the flywheel and staying there.

As others have mentioned it my be the ignition switch. As i'm restoring this car I have not got arround to using direct 12 volts to the starter motor, i hope to be able to do so soon

Thanks to all your input. Started the car with 12v from battery to starter motor, work a charm, no noise other than the starter engaging.