407 Key Replacement

itstess

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hey all,

Pretty sure my key is faulty, if I go get a clone made is it going to work or do I need to do some extra programming?

Thanks

To get a clone you will need the car anyway because it needs password sniffing are you looking for a remote or just a manual key. But no a clone will just work but you cannot have a remote on a clone.
I literally just walked in the door doing a manual key clone on a 07 407. Spooky

At the moment I’m not bothered if it’s remote or not, anything that will start the damn thing will be fine! That is spooky

To get a clone you will need the car anyway because it needs password sniffing are you looking for a remote or just a manual key. But no a clone will just work but you cannot have a remote on a clone.
I literally just walked in the door doing a manual key clone on a 07 407. Spooky
I have an obd2 at my disposal, will that be of any help? I’m hoping to get out of this as cheaply as possible as funds are super tight right now.

No you will need a key programmer or diagbox I can sell you a key but it would be cheaper to go to a local key place
Thank you. Would you recommend looking at anything else before I replace it? Everything I’ve read points to faulty key, locksmiths are telling me that’s “not possible”

The short of it is - car not recognising key, throws up the anti theft device faulty. First time it did that I was able to do the ignition trick and start it up. Second time - today - no such luck.

if you have the flip remote key, and hang other RFID keys off it or the remote hangs down when the antenna next to the barrel cannot see the RFID chip within the remote OR gets confused with other keys on the same keyring

Thank you. Would you recommend looking at anything else before I replace it? Everything I’ve read points to faulty key, locksmiths are telling me that’s “not possible”

The short of it is - car not recognising key, throws up the anti theft device faulty. First time it did that I was able to do the ignition trick and start it up. Second time - today - no such luck.
It is very common for the 407 remotes to fail on the immobiliser side the chip is part of the circuit board and common to fail basically every 407 will have this happen it’s just the key.

It is very common for the 407 remotes to fail on the immobiliser side the chip is part of the circuit board and common to fail basically every 407 will have this happen it’s just
Not a locksmith in town can do it for me. At this point someone can have it for a case of beer. I’d rather walk

Where abouts are you located?
Can you post a picture of the key? Preferably the insides of it if you take it apart. I might have some replacement parts left for repairs

If you have a spare board and chip, Itstess (in SA) will still have to enable the car to recognise and accept it, a Diagbox or equivalent job..

is the security 4 digit code known?

If you have a spare board and chip, Itstess (in SA) will still have to enable the car to recognise and accept it, a Diagbox or equivalent job..

is the security 4 digit code known?
No unfortunately I don’t know the code and there’s no Peugeot here.

Last one I repaired with anti theft device fault alarm just needed a new induction coil and some new buttons soldered on. If you don't touch the chip there is no need to reprogram to the car

The code should come written when a new car is delivered, but often doesn't. Then you either need someone like dmccurtayne who has the sniffer gear to recover it from the car, or else you ask a dealer to look it up on the Peugeot computer. With this code a new key chip can be accepted.

Dealer look up may have a charge, and at your distance away it would help to have a relationship with the dealer. They won't want to give it to just anybody. It's a pest, but Australian law requires immobilisers.

Otherwise as suggested above, the fault may not lie in the chip, but in the board.

Last one I repaired with anti theft device fault alarm just needed a new induction coil and some new buttons soldered on. If you don't touch the chip there is no need to reprogram to the car
That’s funny someone who would give a car away because of a key problem is going to make the effort to fix it need to know your customers

The code should come written when a new car is delivered, but often doesn't. Then you either need someone like dmccurtayne who has the sniffer gear to recover it from the car, or else you ask a dealer to look it up on the Peugeot computer. With this code a new key chip can be accepted.

Dealer look up may have a charge, and at your distance away it would help to have a relationship with the dealer. They won't want to give it to just anybody. It's a pest, but Australian law requires immobilisers.

Otherwise as suggested above, the fault may not lie in the chip, but in the board.
No the sniffer is for the cloning of the chip id46 chips need the data read while working to do a clone unlike most Toyota Mazda etc stuff.

I was offering a free, potential repair, with new components I have leftover from previous repairs of faulty imobalizers to help someone out. ICs are pretty robust, unpotted 0.05mm copper wires on the other hand...
Worst case it still doesn't work
Sent you a message itstess