407 Fuel System

DavyJones

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi folks,
I have a Peugeot 407 2.0 ST HDi Manual Comfort late 2005 model. I started it on Saturday, it ran for about 5 seconds then died and wouldn't fire again. It seems to have consumed most of the diesel in the filter bowl and I couldn't seem to pump any diesel through with the hand primer. I located the fuel gauge sender under the back seat and wondered if there might be a sender pump in the assembly, or if it's only the high pressure pump that does the lot.

Just wondering if I'm missing anything and if I should be ordering a new high pressure fuel pump?

There is a primer bulb check valve which may have failed. The RHR engine uses a tank pump.

Thanks Seasink

the Engine No. begins with PSARHR10... I assume that means my 407 uses a pump in the fuel tank? Therefore, when I switch the ignition on, I should hear something whirring from the top of the tank and it should charge the fuel system? I hear no whirring sound and there is no fuel coming forward to the fuel filter.

I'd not be sure it has an electric pump in the tank unit. If you can't pump anything via the primer bulb, try removing the fuel cap and see if it's under a vacuum, which would suggest the tank vent is blocked. Wasp?

Yes. Yours then has a primer bulb in the engine bay on the driver's side. You should be able to pump it till it gets hard. If it doesnt get hard then it is either faulty or there is an air leak into the fuel line ahead of the bulb. There is also likely some clear tubing on the outlet side of the bulb, Check this for air bubbles while pumping the bulb.

Thanks for your help everyone. I found the seal on the Fuel Filter lid had perished, allowing air in. Once I replaced the filter and seal, purged the air from the fuel line from the filter to the pump, all worked well.