407 2.7 HDi worth a shot?

Sans_sagesse

Fellow Frogger
This is more a 'what if' thread, but I wanted to ask you knowledgeable people about a Pug I have been interested in for a while....

I was first thinking about a V6 diesel C5 X7,but given the way used prices for those are going, the much more affordable 407 2.7 HDi, as a run-about. I will probably give the 308 to the kids to use when they are fully licensed, and thus will likely need to get myself a replacement run-about.

I have done a search on the V6 HDi models and I get the feeling that, if not maintained to within an inch of their life, they can be a world of hurt. I imagine these cars are cheap for a reason, but is it manageable with a Lexia and some mechanical knowledge? Or am I going from the frying pan into the fire? I have only had to start up Lexia for the 308 once (radio went haywire) and aside from a timing belt recall, it has been fine.

I am not ready to take the plunge yet, but I saw this for sale:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campsie/cars-vans-utes/peugeot-407-2-7-v6-hdi-2007/1290375506

A depollution fault could be lots of things, some simple, some expensive. I have been reading threads about EGR valves, thermostat elbows perishing... and of course a timing belt and trans flush would be maintenance items on these, right?

Basically what I'm asking is, are these cars worth a shot or left well alone?

The other option I thought of was a Phase 2 607 petrol V6 with the 6-sp auto. Not quite a big V6 diesel and not many come up for sale though.

Personally I think you need a 607 - but it would have to be SII with the 6-speed Aisin box. Of course if yo want to go mainstream then obviously you'd go with the 407...

Sort of swings and roundabouts the way I see it.

There was a small window of overlap of these 2 models. The 407 sedan was here up to about 2008, I think the wagon until 2010. The earliest X7, as I understand, was from 2008 onwards.

So on one hand you have your 2007 model that was fully developed, but that development started for a release in 1996.

On the other you have a new model, but one that had drawn on the earlier C5, and was first released 12 years after the 407.

The one you are having a look at has obviously exceptionally low km, and a fairly low price. If you feel like it, go for it. If it did not work out, you maybe could even afford to walk away from it before spending anything on it.

One thing you have to check is the operation of the gearbox. Not just a run around the block. Take your etag and put it on the M5 at 100kmh.

I like the 607 too, but it is not a big car, and I would say a money pit.

The V6 should be shared with a ford territory .... so the parts for it should be readily available and any "common issues" well known :confused:

How good are you with a spanner - I have just been "playing" with my 2.7 lt coupe for a few months. Lovely car on the open road
1. Intake manifold seals and clean
2. EGR clean
3. Timing belt change
4. Coolant flush
5. Auto trans oil flush

When I got it, it also had a depollution fault. In this case it was a combination of
1. Vacuum line cracked - easily identified and fixed
2. In take manifold gasket leak
3. DPF filter fullish - car hadnt had its legs stretched in a while, was sort of started periodically

Once all those were rectified it is great. My suggestion is if you are on the fence - get an ODB2 dongle, and the FAP software on your phone - this will tell you a lot about what the issue might be, and is cheap :)

Modern turbo diesel cars in general are the complete wrong choice as a run around. The systems don’t work correctly until they are at operating temperature and loaded up. Unless you regularly do a few hours of high speed (100kph+) high load driving they are not a wise choice.
So many see issues due to use as a shopping trolley and short school runs.

How good are you with a spanner - I have just been "playing" with my 2.7 lt coupe for a few months. Lovely car on the open road
1. Intake manifold seals and clean
2. EGR clean
3. Timing belt change
4. Coolant flush
5. Auto trans oil flush

When I got it, it also had a depollution fault. In this case it was a combination of
1. Vacuum line cracked - easily identified and fixed
2. In take manifold gasket leak
3. DPF filter fullish - car hadnt had its legs stretched in a while, was sort of started periodically

Once all those were rectified it is great. My suggestion is if you are on the fence - get an ODB2 dongle, and the FAP software on your phone - this will tell you a lot about what the issue might be, and is cheap :)
Thanks mate - I read your thread on your coupe issues - thanks for the quick summary of work done. You've reminded me of the problem with modern diesels as a city car - they need a good run every once in a while to burn off the DPF. Not that direct injection petrols are much better as a city car these days...EDIT: steelsprings you read my mind! :)

Why doesn't that surprise me :clown: The same motor is also in the Citroen c5/c6 and land rover discovery
And the Jaguar XF. Lots of different configurations of tune and turbo's though from what I understand. Watching the video of a Landy engine rebuild really helped me with a timing belt change

As good as 407 Saloon/SW V6 HDi might be, I would always choose phase II 607 V6 petrol over any 407 Saloon or SW. The phase II 607 is just a better car over 407.

The phase II 607 petrol V6 (ES9A) has its own annoying issues, just like every other ES engine, like starter motor issues (not that durable), engine cylinder head covers oil leaks (good quality rtv silicone gasket maker will take care of that), and occasional engine misfire issue (usually, servicing the fuel injectors and cleaning spark plugs take care of this without replacing any single part), leaky VVT solenoids (the solenoids are available at least) etc. But that engine is fantastic. Compared to EGR issues, water pump issues, turbocharger issues and/or head gasket issues the some 2.7 HDi users do complain about, I think the naturally aspirated petrol V6 in phase II V6 is a better devil to handle, for me anyway.

My phase II 607 V6 Petrol would run for months without plugging in my PP2000 or replacing any part.

When it comes to suspension maintenance, the phase II V6 607 petrol (Z9) is way more cheaper to maintain and more durable than all 407 V6 petrol (I don't know about the HDi V6 suspension costs), at least, over here. However, one can argue that 407 V6 road handling could be better than 607 V6 (it's debatable, except 407 V6 HDi & Petrol Coupés).

Electrically, both share the same, like the fragile ABS sensors, similar BSM & BSI units. But the standard RD4 multifunction colour display on Z9 are more durable than majority of RD4 display on D2 (407).

Both the Z9 V6 petrol and D2 V6 petrol share same front & rear brake discs and pads (I would assume same applies to the D2 HDi V6).

D2 headlights/illumination at night are very poor (both the halogen or Xenon). The Z9 is much better, closer to D9 ( phase II 406 which is the best among the 3).

If you were considering the D2 3.0 HDi V6 Coupé over the Z9 Petrol V6, then I would say it could be a big dilemma for me if I were in your shoe. But for Saloon/SW D2? I won't even think twice.

Lion-King Monk.

Last edited:
I would point out though. Given that the 407 V6 2.7 HDi & phase II 607 3.0 V6 petrol use same Auto transmission (AM6), I would assume the D2 2.7 would be quicker, due to its higher torque, especially at lower rpm. And I would expect the fuel consumption of the 2.7 HDi to be lower than 3.0 petrol, I think.

Also want to point out that I have zero personal experience on the 2.7 V6 HDi. I only have on 3.0 V6 petrol, given the subject of discussion by the Sans_sagesse.

Lion-King Monk.

Given torque of the HDi 2.7, CV joints and front end bushes etc tend to suffer a bit, esp if prior owner was a rev head.

Also diesel leaks on injectors - nothing a new copper seal can't fix but also check the fuel return lines as the O rings might be past it

For a 2.7HDi, always check the condition and age of the plastic thermostat housing and the outlet pipe down the front. They split and then the engine can overheat. The are not costly.

The injector return harness often leaks. Jaguar uses the same part.

You can get a pollution fault when one or both of the capsules in the 'borrowed' image below fail - one on each bank and not sold by Pug or Citroen, but Jaguar sells a repair kit as C2C41233. Hope this helps someone.

1646139090545.png