406 XU10 Noisy Lifter

GBW

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
My 406 with XU10 engine has developed it's first ever mechanical problem. One of the lifters is sometimes slow to prime and is very noisy.
Other than replacing it which is a fairly major task has anyone had experience with the various additive which are available? Does anyone use engine flush?
The oil has been changed every 10.000 km's since the car was new, so I doubt sludge is an issue. It has now done 335,000 km's.
Thanks

Sorry, there is no easy fix. You need to pull the cams out, check for wear on the lobe(s) and lifter face. If all is good, then strip the lifter apart, recondition and flush.

Sorry, there is no easy fix. You need to pull the cams out, check for wear on the lobe(s) and lifter face. If all is good, then strip the lifter apart, recondition and flush.
I know I will be in trouble for this!
Last October returning to Sydney from Brisbane my XU10 engined 205's oil filter sprung a leak/seep and dumped a lot of oil onto the highway. After fitting a new oil filter on the side of the road the only oil I could buy at the time was 20/40, so I filled it up. One of my lifters had always rattled when the engine was cold, for years: NO more!

Great news!
I decided the first and easiest possible fix was to to change the oil and filter.
This I did and used the correct grade of oil, 10w-40. A few years ago I changed to 20w-50 in an attempt to reduce oil consumption.
The lifter noise has completely gone, no sign even when starting, cold or hot. It had got to the stage of being there on every start, particularly when cold.
The engine sounds the same as it did when new, it's amazing how mechanically quite these engines are, even after great distances.
Hope it lasts.