Wanted 406 V6 XFX MY2000 3L manual/schematics or pdf

Tassie Pugs

Tadpole
Tadpole
Help, please.
Dad has two 406s, coupe and sedan, both rescued from wreckers.
We're very au fait with everything from 403s to 306 but 406 XFX motor is a but high end.
Does anyone have a workshop manual or pdf for this vehicle that I can buy, beg copy or steal, please?

This is the ES9J4S? It also appears in some early C5 models. The Haynes manual is near useless.

I have lots of help for various operations, but no full manual. Could you post what you wish to do?

I posted the timing method a while ago. Here it is again. AF file size limits forced me to split the file.

Attachments

• es9j4s-timing1.pdf
    753.9 KB · Views: 36
  • es9j4s-timing2.pdf
    681.6 KB · Views: 31
  • es9j4s-timing3.pdf
    850.1 KB · Views: 31
  • es9j4s-timing4.pdf
    929.8 KB · Views: 30
The Cit C5 handbooks for the period also include the XFX, as well as several other engines. I can make extracts if needed.

Attachments

• XFX.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 33
Oh my giddy aunt, thank you @seasink this is an amazing start.
Pulling the auxiliary belt off we realised the idler bracket was missing (completely) but then started to wonder if D9 engines had the bracket at all. Our only reference was you tube 1998 406 so very different motor.
This mornings mad google search was fir a diagram of the water pump location, assuming it's deiven off timing belt?
Dad is owns plenty of the early models and I learned to drive in the 404, then converted 79 504 from auto to manual before deciding the punchy 306 tdi is the best peugeot ever. Now in his 70s, getting one or both 406s going is Dad's retirement luxury get around dream, I'm holding out to inherit 404 ute or 403B wagon.

Most of my documents are in French. I'll leave the translations to you. You can use translate,google.

Attachments

• front-suspension.pdf
    201.4 KB · Views: 34
More. Since you were looking at the auxiliary belt, here is the page. Note that pdf illustrations can be zoomed up.

Attachments

• p65-belt.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 36
Note to your Dad, Tassie - I bought a D9 SV manual (ie. XFX or ES9J4S) sedan nearly 10 years ago, and we are not selling it!

Yes the belts are complex - and expensive when you add in all the idlers & adjusters (plus water pump), but at 360,000 km mine uses no oil or water, and is my vehicle of choice if I want to get somewhere quickly, especially on hilly &/or windy roads.

I hope at least one of your father's 406s has a manual trans, as the 4HP20 auto does not last as long as the manual - especially if previous owner(s) believed the marketing spin that the 4HP20 (& the AL4) were "sealed for life". If the (manual box) changes are stiff or the synchros a bit crunchy, changing the gear oil to Castrol VMX80, and adding a dose of Teflon gearbox treatment will help.

Note to your Dad, Tassie - I bought a D9 SV manual (ie. XFX or ES9J4S) sedan nearly 10 years ago, and we are not selling it!

Yes the belts are complex - and expensive when you add in all the idlers & adjusters (plus water pump), but at 360,000 km mine uses no oil or water, and is my vehicle of choice if I want to get somewhere quickly, especially on hilly &/or windy roads.

I hope at least one of your father's 406s has a manual trans, as the 4HP20 auto does not last as long as the manual - especially if previous owner(s) believed the marketing spin that the 4HP20 (& the AL4) were "sealed for life". If the (manual box) changes are stiff or the synchros a bit crunchy, changing the gear oil to Castrol VMX80, and adding a dose of Teflon gearbox treatment will help.
Funny you should mention aurora trans, Hayden the Miracle Worker at Pug Wreck sourced Dad a new/recon auto for the coupe but sedan is manual!
I'll let dad know re gearbox grease. Thank you, I'll pop some photos up soon of the family collection!

It would be fantastic to have a coupe, but as we get older (I'm not much behind your Dad) I suspect the sedan may be a bit easier to get in and out of :).

Most recent work on my 406 was a replacement clutch. The clutch itself was OK, but the thrust bearing fell apart. Can't really complain after 23 years/360,000km, but a slight suspicion that its demise may have been hastened by lending it...

Anyway, the flywheel needed a machine, but the D9 has a DMF flywheel, which my mechanic couldn't machine. A new replacement was $1500... Solution is the 'normal' flywheel from an earlier 406 - the D8, with the previous version of the engine (ES9J4). It is completely interchangeable - bolts straight on to flywheel & uses same clutch (and can be machined). Anyway - hope it's a long time before you need this piece of trivia...

Hi Tassie Pugs,

Good to have another coupe on the island! We're running a silver D8 as a daily driver. Have you found the 406 Coupe Club website? They've got an extensive forum and how to section.

Out of curiosity, is yours a D8 or D9?

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Tassie Pugs,

Good to have another coupe on the island! We're running a silver D8 as a daily driver. Have you found the 406 Coupe Club website? They've got an extensive forum and how to section.

Out of curiosity, is yours a D8 or D9?

Cheers,
Andrew
D9 Andrew, and no I didn't know about the Coupe Club!