406 V6 Coupe starts in Neutral, turns over in Park bu tno ignition

ultspnch

Tadpole
[FONT="]Hi! Well our 1998 Coupe V6 auto trans has worked perfect for the last 2 years. Yesterday after shopping, the engine turned over rapidly with starter motor but would not 'fire.' I tried PARK auto position several times, I even looked under the hood![/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#323D4F][FONT="]As last ditch try I put transmission in NEUTRAL and it fired up right away.[/FONT] [FONT="]This am I started it just fine twice in PARK.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#323D4F][FONT="]Anyone had this intermittent trouble before? Should I be worried?[/FONT] [FONT="]All ideas much appreciated.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#323D4F][FONT="]Ron in Brisbane[/FONT]

My daughter has a different brand of car but which had the same problem. The cut out switch in the transmission lever needed slight adjustment.

Hello again folks. Now the car frequently wont start even though all the dash lights are on and seems normal , in either Park or Neutral.

Battery well charged, motor turns over on starter motor at good speed, but fails to FIRE.

My wife tried her technique of 'turning' the key to start, SLOWLY, and it fires up for her after several tries. But too unreliable now to take the lovely 406 V6 coupe anywhere.

Is there a service person in Brisbane area that would come to the house in Redland Bay Qld and FIX it?

Do you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to start it? If so, check the brake switch.

If not, you can try one of the many mobile auto electricians or mechanics that service your area. There's only a handful of things it could be.

Scan the transmission ECU

Or

Replace the transmission Multifunction switch.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

So after cranking no immobilizer error appears on the centre console?

From your wife's method sounds like the key is taking long to sync with ECU.

Do you happen to have another key added to the keyring which might be slowing the sync process.

Could be a faulty ignition antenna?

You would need the car scanned.

There may be a member or 2 that live Southside of the bridge that maybe able to scan. Hopefully they chime in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks guys that's another thing I for got to ask, what kind of shop can SCAN the errorcodes on a Peugeot? I presume it needs a instrument to plug in maybe from a plug under the dash, but not sure.

On the Yankee car I have in USA I can do it myself by pushing dash buttons .

Ron in Brisbane