406 temp sensor

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know the secret to dismantling the near side external rear vision mirror from a D9 406?

My external temperature sensor is giving ridiculous readings - currently shows 45C, when it's 13C outside. No it's not in Fahrenheit - I tried switching the setting, and it now shows 111F!! I am assuming there's no re-calibration possible via PP2000 (and anyway, it's not consistent in it's error).

I got the mirror off without any problems, but whereas it's easy to access the temp sensor in a 605 or Xantia, there is no separate panel giving easy access to it on the 406. My attempts to split the casing have only resulted in breaking tabs off the painted cover so far :mad:!

Alternatively I suppose I could just buy a 2nd hand mirror with working temp sensor.

Cheers

Alec

You'll need to pop the glass off first. Actually really easy once you find the clips. I've replaced that sensor on my d8 twice!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

It could be just the plug that connects the temp sensor to the car. From memory I removed the triangular panel on the inside of the door that allows access to the mirror mount.

You'll need to pop the glass off first. Actually really easy once you find the clips. I've replaced that sensor on my d8 twice!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks cav - great to know that someone else maintains their 406! Sounds like I'd better do it over grass, as I'm sure to lose my grip on that glass when it pops free! Can you give me a clue as to what tool to use etc.? Do you push a screwdriver into the gap between glass and plastic housing?

It could be just the plug that connects the temp sensor to the car. From memory I removed the triangular panel on the inside of the door that allows access to the mirror mount.

Thanks - I had to get the triangular panel off and disconnect the single (quite large) electric plug to remove the mirror from the car (assuming that would help me get to the temp sensor :rolleyes:). Replacing it has not made any difference, and I was careful to ensure that the electrical plug was pushed home fully.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks cav - great to know that someone else maintains their 406! Sounds like I'd better do it over grass, as I'm sure to lose my grip on that glass when it pops free! Can you give me a clue as to what tool to use etc.? Do you push a screwdriver into the gap between glass and plastic housing?]

Usually just gently prying the glass away. But very carefully. You can also see the clip if you pry it away enough. I just unhook any part of the clip and the glass comes off.