406 Hdi ownership

KIMDEB

Fellow Frogger
Hi - am researching the 406 as a possible next purchase. Can anyone describe their ownership experience of the diesel version - manual or auto?

It seems also that in 2003 some changes were made in terms of trim, alloy wheel size etc, but anything else that represents a plus?

Many thanks,

K

New 406 HDi Owner

Bought my first ever Peugeot a few days ago: a 2003 406 D9 ST HDi 2.0 Wagon Auto that has done 85,000 kms. Well, more like 86,000 now, I think.

Wear and tear:

• Original CD stacker was replaced by an aftermarket Kenwood
  • Plastic handle for driver's seat tilt comes off
  • Rubber strip on driver's side door sill misses some clips
Otherwise in good nick for a 7-year old car.

Fuel consumption:

• 6.1 L / 100 km for mostly country driving and some town driving
Driver's manual:

• A bit short on technical information; e.g. no details on type of fog light bulbs and how to replace them.
Handling:

• I'm horrified that I bought a car with McPherson struts. First one ever. Nevertheless, the car handles confidently. Just hate to think what could happen if I hit a pothole.
Electronics:

• This level of electronics is another scary first for me. Keeping my trusty 1978 SAAB 99 (120,000 kms) on stand-by, just in case...
Trim and Accessories:

• Cloth-covered seats a very big plus! (as compared to leather)
  • No complaints about the number of buttons, switches, dials, displays, and warning lights. Heaps more than in any of my previous cars.
Hope this information was useful.

The manual 110 HDI's have a dual mass flywheel - which can be expensive to replace, if you need to do a clutch!

Other than that, they seem fairly sturdy from what other people say on the www.406oc.co.uk forum - might be worth posting on there, as the 110 HDI is the majority of what people own over there.

Electronics should be ok. Usual COM2000 problems, which have seem to be ironed out by now if you have the latter unit, which has been replaced under warranty!

A nice late model 2003+ HDI would be a nice car, but remember you can get a C5 for similar coin which will be a much newer car :)

Cheers,

Joel

Thanks for the replies thus far.

How do you find the on road performance for the Hdi version? Am looking at later 2003 models, so comms issues etc should be resolved.

Re the flywheel, nay idea of replacement cost & is an after-market unit available as an option? Hopefully, such a failure is very rare!!

Cheers,
K

manual or auto

You might want to research what auto transmission went into that model. If it's the dreaded AL4 then I would steer clear. Do a search on AL4 in this forum and you will not find many kind words. The manual will give slightly better "standing start" performance too.

Thanks again people for the replies & a welcome to Ymer into the A/F forum.

I have read elsewhere in this forum that Valeo supply an after market flywheel replacement for diesel cars that have an issue with the DMF units. However, as this appears to be a rare event, I would not be concerned by ownership of a diesel manual. We have 307 Hdi Touring 6 speed manual & it is a delight to drive, especially on the big trips.

Regarding the 406 Hdi manual under consideration, they are a popular vehicle in rural areas for many reasons, not least being the fuel type & economy, durability & reliability.

Next step will be to drive one.

Cheers,
K

Handling:

• I'm horrified that I bought a car with McPherson struts. First one ever. Nevertheless, the car handles confidently. Just hate to think what could happen if I hit a pothole.

Given that the 406 was, at the time, described by motoring journos as the ride and handling benchmark, this comment seems a little odd.:confused: Peugeots have for many years had McPherson struts upfront and have made some of the best riding and handling cars up until recently.

Could you please explain why you're so horrified to have bought a car with McPherson struts? Are there any affordable cars made these days with double wishbones?

Maybe comes from the days of Zephrs where the strut was held in place by not much more than a piece of wire (as the radius rod) and a severe pothole caused it to fold under the guard.

I can assure you modern cars with struts can take serious treatment, having rallied them for 30 years.

Cheers

Jim

406 HDi economy

Went Melbourne to Brisbane and back in the my 'new' 2003 HDi 406 (D9) sedan with 150000+ on the clock recently. This is my first HDi diesel after my first exposure to a Peugeot diesel via a 405 SRDT earlier this year which impressed me so much I bought a 406 for my wife.

I was so disappointed that I needed to stop at all and refuel along the way. What's the world coming to when you need to refuel your car all the time. Got to Coffs Harbour when the mongrel needed a drink. Zipped up to Brisbane (home town); across to Straddie for two weeks; back to Brisbane; down to Grafton then up the range to Glen Innes. Then the mongrel wanted a second drink at Glen Innes (cheapest fuel ever at $1.21 and "did I have a Mobil discount card"/No! Why are we being ripped off in Melbourne???).

Took the attached piccie on the way back (already had 191 kms on the clock at the time).
Sheeeesh! Talk about refusing to suck the fuel (is this car anhorexic or what??)- had to fork out nearly $240 in diesel for whole trip - that's around 3 tanksfull. And, NO! I'm wasn't crawling along but I did sit under the freeway speeds by punting along at 105 kph with B-Doubles whipping past at 120kph and sat on the 100kph on the Newell Highway.

I don't want to tell you what it used to cost me in the 505 wagon (lovely to drive though) - which was why it was cheaper to fly the family up than drive up.

What can I say: I'm never buying another petrol engined car again!!!!!!! I am still keeping the 1980 504 wagon (my Sportz Car/ Babe Magnet - please don't laugh and allow an old man his delusional fantasy) for a little while yet but the 505 may have to go - it's petrol you see.

TA

Attachments

• 406-HDi-wb.jpg
    406-HDi-wb.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 4,477
Not so horrified

Could you please explain why you're so horrified to have bought a car with McPherson struts?

Mostly stories about snapping struts and driving less-than-impressive strutted rentals. :)

Are there any affordable cars made these days with double wishbones?

Certainly. The Ssangyongs. (Can they be called cars?) But their steering is incredibly vague.

Oh, and I do like the handling of the 406. If a car can make the grade at 100+ km/h on a ball-bearing-gravel road, I'm happy. And the 406 does. So I am.

This level of electronics is another scary first for me. Keeping my trusty 1978 SAAB 99 (120,000 kms) on stand-by, just in case...

Tell us more about the 99 please! Pics too if you don't mind. I quite like the 99.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

How do you find the on road performance for the Hdi version? Am looking at later 2003 models, so comms issues etc should be resolved.

Cheers,
K

I had one of the last 406 HDi's sold in Oz. delivered june 2004 (seen regularly in banner at top of page..rego YFH33R)

I had Com2000 problems.. the indicaters going on LHS when coming out of Rh turn.
Check before you buy especially when coming out of RH turn quickly.

Apart from that it was a beautiful touring car but I found it a bit slow off at the lights. Had thought of putting in aftermarket performance chip but didnt get around to it before car was stolen and burnt out

Decca

Hi Kim,

Whatever you do, don't buy a D8 2.1L diesel unless someone has already replaced the semi-electronic Lucas injector pump with a mechanical Bosch pump from a 405.

We used to have several long and detailed treads on the trials and tribulations of owning one - a couple of threads being mine. Unfortunately they evaporated when that moron in the US pushed the delete button.

Good luck with your search.
Warwick

And as for MacPherson struts versus double wishbones; as someone has already pointed out, it's all in the design.

I'm always amused by the industry's trumpeting of double wishbone suspension as the latest thing and the implied superior qualities. Holdens had double wishbone suspension for years. The FJ and HR were appalling handlers - not to mention any in between.

If no expense was spared in the use of lightweight metals, and it was only used on good roads, a non-independent beam axle system would perform very well because it holds the wheels perpendicular to the road at all times.

It's all a matter of design, application and the environment where it is used.

Hi Kim,

Whatever you do, don't buy a D8 2.1L diesel unless someone has already replaced the semi-electronic Lucas injector pump with a mechanical Bosch pump from a 405.

We used to have several long and detailed treads on the trials and tribulations of owning one - a couple of threads being mine. Unfortunately they evaporated when that moron in the US pushed the delete button.

Good luck with your search.
Warwick

Hi Warwick & other A/Fers,

Many thanks for all the replies & opinions.

Overall, I have always known they were a great car - just need to get over comparisons with my 505 GTi S2 in regard to driving enjoyment, handling etc.

The prospect of more modern goodies, better airconditioning, etc etc will probably win out in the end. A few tales of auto-trans issues have increased the research vigilance, but I believe regular transmission servicing :) can overcome this problem, as with most mechanical things.

Cheers,

K:)

Kim,

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd swap a 406 for a good 505 in an instant.

Warwick

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd swap a 406 for a good 505 in an instant.

To give an alternative opinion, I wouldn't. I've had a 2003 model 406 HDi for just over a year now, and I've owned various 505s (STI, GTI (series 1 & 2), SRDT) over the years.

I love 505s, and it's easy to wax nostalgic, but even the newest, lowest-kilometer, 505 model is 20 years old now and lots of things have changed in that time. Not to mention just age, wear and tear.

"Spirited driving" of a 505 GTI manual is certainly more fun, but I know which car I'd rather drive day to day. I find the 406 more comfortable, quieter, safer, more convenient, and it has less crummy plastic in the interior. Not to mention insanely great fuel economy, as previously mentioned. :)

Those dual mass flywheel prices are certainly sobering, though. Less scary than for a similar era Merc, though.

To give an alternative opinion, I wouldn't. I've had a 2003 model 406 HDi for just over a year now, and I've owned various 505s (STI, GTI (series 1 & 2), SRDT) over the years.

I love 505s, and it's easy to wax nostalgic, but even the newest, lowest-kilometer, 505 model is 20 years old now and lots of things have changed in that time. Not to mention just age, wear and tear.

"Spirited driving" of a 505 GTI manual is certainly more fun, but I know which car I'd rather drive day to day. I find the 406 more comfortable, quieter, safer, more convenient, and it has less crummy plastic in the interior. Not to mention insanely great fuel economy, as previously mentioned. :)

Those dual mass flywheel prices are certainly sobering, though. Less scary than for a similar era Merc, though.

Thank you again people,

Have decided to include the SV version of the 406 in my calculations as well, as the economy is very reasonable for a V6; not to mention the extra features.

Cheers,
K

No rose-coloured glasses here Gus. My 505 and 406 ownership overlapped by a few years. I find they have better seats and more interior room. I enjoy driving them more. True they are now very old but they are also very repairable, unlike the 406 which is a throwaway car like most other more modern cars. You would never contemplate rebuilding a 406 engine.

The Series 1 505 had a neatly designed plastic interior. It's the Series 2 that has the crumby plastic dash.

I've owned two 1983 SRDT 5-speed manuals and a Series 2 1985 GTI auto. Now I have one of the '83 cars back again and can't wait to get it back on the road after a full restoration - not that it needs much besides paint and a clutch.