406 D8 2 Litre Auto

GBW

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
I have noticed that some of the 406 D8s have the ghastly AL4 transmission, mine is a 1997 manufacture but luckily, by complete chance mine has the 4HP20.
Does anyone know when they changed to the AL4? I have always assumed it was on the D9s but it seems not.
There is very nice 1998 example on car sales at the moment which appears to have the AL4, judging by the 3 buttons next to the selector, the 4HP20 only has 2.

I have a Citroen AL4 handbook dated March 1998, so it was in use then. It was in the 206 in that year. Renault was using it in 1999.

Last edited:
About halfway through the D8 production run I think. But the AL4/DPO doesnt really deserve so much hate, it’s a decent unit if properly maintained.

In PSA vehicles it gave more trouble because it was factory filled with a semi mineral fluid, where Renault put a full synthetic in it. But both insisted it was a “sealed for life” unit which is correct if you want the life to not be nearly as long as it could be.

I just looked at the D8 manuals. There are four transmissions listed, for different engines - ML5T, BE3, autos 4HP20, and AL4

About halfway through the D8 production run I think. But the AL4/DPO doesnt really deserve so much hate, it’s a decent unit if properly maintained.

In PSA vehicles it gave more trouble because it was factory filled with a semi mineral fluid, where Renault put a full synthetic in it. But both insisted it was a “sealed for life” unit which is correct if you want the life to not be nearly as long as it could be.
And what happens when the driveshaft seals start to leak?

I have noticed that some of the 406 D8s have the ghastly AL4 transmission, mine is a 1997 manufacture but luckily, by complete chance mine has the 4HP20.
Does anyone know when they changed to the AL4? I have always assumed it was on the D9s but it seems not.

Changed from HP20 to AL4 on RPO 7784 (March 2nd 1998)
406 D8 with VIN RFVP has the XU10J4R and 4HP20
406 D8 with VIN RFVT has the XU10J4R and AL4

Won't be sealed for life if you had to add oil. As soon as you remove a drive shaft oil flows out.
No kidding. Not clear what the point is? Are you suggesting failing seals is a maintenance strategy?

No kidding. Not clear what the point is? Are you suggesting failing seals is a maintenance strategy?
?????????????? Just saying that it won't be sealed for life, surely the box will outlast the seals?

?????????????? Just saying that it won't be sealed for life, surely the box will outlast the seals?
No, not really. Oil leaks is one thing they don't do! Especially on the PSA applications with their crappy semi mineral oil, they will comprehensively fry the oil and burn out clutch packs and not leak a drop in the process.