405 mi16 1.9 vs 405 mi16 2.0

parry

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Ok guys, Im in the market for a 405 mi16 and would like to know the diference between the 2, is there much of a performace diference between the 2? Any option diferences?

Good choice mate. Here are some links from eaelier: <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001347" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001347</a>
<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001172" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001172</a>
<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000993" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000993</a>

There is a LOT of info in those threads. I'm sure there is more, but they are a very good start.

Cheers.

Cal.

My favourite is the S1 with 15" wheels and BE3 gearbox. It overcomes the 14" tyre problem, still has the all alloy motor and better gearbox. Tight examples of these should be the most highly sort after, in my opinion.

If you want a tigher, more rigid car, go for a S2 with the iron engine and variable inlet length. These have problems with inlet manifold actuators and coil packs.

Least favourable is the S1 with 14" wheels and BE1 gearbox.

Whats wrong with the BE1 ? i've never had any problems with mine?

I've got the BE1 car with the 14" wheels and it's a fine little car!

Cheers

Ben

There's nothing wrong with a BE1, it's just the reverse pull up thing. Males who are uncircumsized seem to cope better. Tyre choices in 14" V rated are very limited in now.

Sumitumo makes a brilliant V rated tyre for the 14's had them on mine before it got stolen, going from goodyear eagles to them, the eagles just dont compare, on a wet road the car would handle like it was dry... brilliant...
Go the series 1 with the alloy engine, top bikkies mate...

Ok I had a full day looking at 405 mi16s and a few s16s!!!!

Im so cONFUSED.

Ok, seems like I prefer the s2 over the S1 405 as the dash is one piece and much more modern. As for performance there doesnt seem much in it, so as a daily driver it really doesnt matter.

So I have found a nice 1994 S2 405 for 8.5k, 12 months rego and 170k on the clock. Full service history.

The paint could be a litle better but sorrento green is a dificult color to maintain over 10 years.

So this might be the one, unless one of you guys have seen anything better around or want to sell me your car!

parry:
As for performance there doesnt seem much in it, so as a daily driver it really doesnt matter.
Daily driver????.. ffff.... - chris

ps, As per Parry dictionary, Daily Driver;adjective.1-meaning it's driven like a Pug should be on a Daily basis....lol.

Someone should do a comparason write up on the two with a list of the differences. I am a bit of a Nissan person too so at the Pulsar forums they have a comparason between the Australian Spec Pulsar and the Jap Spec Pulsar.
I reckon one like that for the Mi16 would be awesome and might prevent people from answering the same question too often.

WindeX

If someone would give me one of each for a few weeks I'd be happy to oblige with a comparative test wink

Cheers

Rod

Rod,
your dedication to the forum is commendable wink

I'll do the comparo between the S16, early GTi6's and late model GTi6 (mine). Would someone care to donate one of each for a week worth of testing. I will even cover the Wakefield daily charge :D evil

Is the handling difference between the alloy block series 1 and the iron block series 2 that significant? I suppose I would be willing to trade a little responsiveness for the S2's improved rigidity... :confused:

if i were to have another Mi-16 i'd have the series one just for the engine characteristics
i just love the series one engine
i'm not too worried about the softer ride in the series two or the slightly stronger body
and of course i'd have to go the luxury pack with ABS, roof and leather
and it would have to be monza red
the only thing series two i would have on it would be the 15" wheels

The last week I have driven both S1 and S2 cars and the diference in performance is not noticible in Sydney traffic, I personally have now decided the S2 car suits my needs better as a daily driver and prefer the S2 dash over the S1. The ride is good and the brakes are even better on the S2.

But it does come down to personal tastes and the condition of the car.

What is particular in better about the engine characteristics of the 1.9 S1? Dioes it rev better etc? :confused:

I am lucky enough to have 2 series 1 Mi16's, the '89 model has BE1 g/box and is my Targa car. It came with 14" wheels, but since I had a spare set of 15" with Yoko A032's for hillclimbs and sprints, they are now on rally car. Mileage 220,000km and engine perfect, has been ported and polished but std 10.3:1 compression for 98 octane fuel. Car is fully tractable in traffic but the "lift up collar" gearbox not as friendly as BE3 box. Car has cloth upholstery and NO SUNROOF-they are a bloody nuisance as helmet kept hitting the thing in my first 89 model(now sold).Cloth upholstered seats are better bolstered and much more suitable for occasional racing cf. leather.
My '91 model is Monza red (best colour), has BE3 g/box, no sunroof, cloth upholstery, 15" wheels were standard, has headlamp washers which 89 model does not have, motor has done 160,000MILES, goes like a train, seems just marginally more willing than the 89 car but the head work in that has pushed the torque curve higher up.
The newer car feels tighter as assembly standards improved(all RHD Mi16's were made at Coventry, UK plant).
From my experience of S1 cars only I would choose the best condition S1 with BE3 gearbox, cloth and no sunroof and with a/c. They handle superbly on 15's, give good economy when kept at 3,000rpm and make great clubsport cars.
Cheers
Don :) wink